Spare DeWalt batteries

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by im a martian, Oct 29, 2003.

1. im a martian

im a martian New Member

Can anyone advise where's the best place to buy new DeWalt batteries - and how much can i expect to pay?

2. golp01

golp01 New Member

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but those cunning accountants and marketing people at Dewalt, and indeed almost every other "Professional grade", i.e. expensive cordless driver manufacturer, have hit on a cunning wheeze to seperate you from your hard earned.

once you have bought the product, the charger is usually the first thing to go squiffy, but never mind eh, you've still got a good machine and two good batteries, so just bite the bullet and shell out for a new charger....Then one of the batteries dies. Do you replace that too. What then?

Unfortunatly, i've had this merry go round with Dewalt (i'll never touch them again, and i tell everyone. Also i've had pretty much the same scenario with Atlas Copco. £310 worth of the best cordless i've ever used..... until the charger died on it's **** quickly followed by one of the Batteries. They only wanted £147.00 for one battery.

The only honourable exception I know of from personal experience is Hitachi, but I have heard great things about the new 18V Metabo with IC 10 (I think) intelligent charger. Mind you, that comes in at about £275.

In the meantime while i'm saving the pennies, I bought a £17.98 corded 750 watt "hammer" ha ha drill from B & Q.
    This now serves alongside my limping Atlas copco (now being sold under the brand name Milwaukee, presumeably because they have become too ashamed of the old name).

I'm not sure there is a solution at the moment, but i'm damm sure throwing good money after bad, isn't it.

Good luck with the search though,

pete

3. Neil

Neil Guest

4. im a martian

im a martian New Member

Thanks Neil.

£34.50 for a 14.4v 2.0ah battery is excellent, the cheapest i'd seen was £70 !!!

Ta

5. WOLF

WOLF New Member

excuse me folks, but without being funny, i have owned a dewalt drill/driver for the last 9years, charger and batteries still going strong, and as for the dewalt rubbish of a previous post, they are the only manufacturer who still uses the same battery terminal through out the whole range, there for all old and new batteries will inter change.. along with the chargers.. if you abuse tools and chargers they screw up...don't we all..as for pricing.. i don't pay more than £35-40 for a 12v battery for any of my dewalts...and to prove a point, i now have over 6 drill/drivers/hammer drills of dewalts, all the batteries inter change so do the chargers ..no problems yet... other makers like bosch,makita etc keep changing the battery design(and charger) so after about 18 months, when the 1000 cycles of most batteries is about up and it dies you can no longer buy the damned things..so you have to by another drill anyway...not with dewalts... sorry other dewalt non likers, but after trying most other brands over the years(25 of work) i will always stick with what does not let me down or expire in less than a year...

6. WOLF

WOLF New Member

addendum: most people, and i was one to start with abuse power tools, but if you look after them they will last for a very long time, like who out there actually cleans the tooling, or changes the carbon brushes when they start to spark.. and the odd drop of lithium grease now and again.... and as for battery chargers... i bet most out there are full of dust (and especially tiny metal filings) where they are just left in tool boxes/back of vans to rattle around, or even left so the electronic internals get damp......
    as an old(sadly past on) engineer friend once said(and im sorry ladies) ...i bet you spend more time playing with your manhood than you do caring for your tools.....and it's your tools that earn you ,your money, not your manhood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. McFix

McFix New Member

Have had a De Walt909 with case, charger and 2 x DE9061s for 9 years. Being a happy amateur and having looked after the kit I was disappointed when the batteries failed and stunned to discover the cost of replacements - over £40 each plus vat and carriage - non recoverable as an oap. I hate waste and love the drill but the only sensible solution is to bin the lot and spend up to £100 on a replacement package. I just havent quite managed to bring myself to do it yet.

8. perfectiontools

perfectiontools New Member

HI,I HAD THE SAME LINE OF THOUGHT REGARDING NEW BATTERIES TO BE PURCHASED AS EXTRAS,I WAS ALSO EQUALLY AS SHOCKED WHEN I SAW THERE RESPECTIVE PRICES,SINCE THEN I LOOK REGURLARLY ON EBAY AND HAVE BOUGHT LOADS OF NEW 18V & 24V AT FANTASTIC PRICES,HAVE A LOOK, I THINK YOULL BE PLEASANTLY SUPRISED.

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

lots of long posts here!!

dewalt=ebay

10. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

Ok I have been told a solution to the problem

Get your old battery that won't hold a charge or re-charge, put it in a plastic bag and seal it good and tight. place it in your freezer over night and lift it out in the morning and let it defrost.
    What the h*ll will that do I hear you ask? well it kills the memory chip inside the battery and now allows you to recharge the battery.
    Don't know how much longer you'll get but it puts off buying new ones for a while longer and you're only going to chuck them out anyway so like rebecca you've nothing to loos lol

11. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Ebay is often a good source of replacement batteries though you do have to be careful of your supplier. Over the last two years I have bought 4 DW 14.4 batteries from eBay suppliers. Three of them were fine. The other one looked good but quickly fell behind the others - it appeared to charge OK but then just faded in use. I got so fed up with it that I took it apart - I also took apart a 4 year old battery that had served well but was just past it. Turned out that the useless was a look alike rip-off with inferior cells inside. From the outside it looked perfect but inside it wasn't. Trouble is the ebay feedback mechanism doesn't allow for feedback after the initial delivery feedback so I got trading standards people to sort it out and that trader has now disappeared from ebay but be warned.

Graham

12. jonob

jonob Member

have had some 18v dewalt stuff for over 7 years now its well bashed and covered in plaster etc

but just keeps on going !!

personally wouldnt have any thing else

each to their own

13. Markybob

Markybob New Member

I can relate to what wolf says about manhood, I get a hard on everytime i pick up my new dewalt planer!!

14. switchback

switchback New Member

Hi. If you've still got your Atlas Copco stuff, you can get the batteries repacked at:

www.re-cell.co.uk/atlas.html

They're alot more reasonable than the new prices.

15. pannyfan

pannyfan New Member

Hiya

If you rip open the battery casing you will find that inside are several smaller batteries. These are known as "Tagged Cells" and are typically 1.2v each and come in NiCad and NIMH versions. Google for these and you will be able to replenish all the batteries yourself with alittle bit of soldering.

Cheers

Gareth

16. Wevey

Wevey New Member

2 days late again. Switchback, have you used recell? If so, I'd be interested to know what you thought.