SPD Risk Assessment

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by puntoboy, Jul 8, 2020.

1. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

We moved into our new house 6 months ago, a brand new house. I noted that the consumer unit in the house does not have a surge protection device fitted. Having only recently learned about SPDs in consumer units I started researching them.

My understanding on the 18th Edition regulations (which isn't a lot - I'm not an electrician) leads me to believe that an SPD should be fitted unless a risk assessment is carried out showing why one is not required.

In regulation 443.4 of the BS 7671:2018 wiring regulations, it states

‘Protection against transient over voltages shall be provided where the consequence caused by over voltage could:
    (i) result in serious injury to, or loss of, human life, or
    (ii) result in interruption of public services and/or damage to cultural heritage, or
    (iii) result in interruption of commercial or industrial activity, or
    (iv) affect a large number of co-located individuals.

For all other cases, a risk assessment according to Regulation 443.5 shall be performed."

I've checked the paperwork from the sale, including the certificates from the electrical contractor and there is no sign of such a risk assessment. Should there be? As a home owner should I have a copy? I have reached out to the builder and they are looking into it. I'd imagine that they are scrambling trying to find a way to get out of it, if they are of course, required to do so.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

But it then says

except for single dwelling units where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection.

Which, one would imagine, is the category you fall into.

Squashrobinson likes this.
  3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The 18th edition came into force on 1 Jan 2019 for new installations. It is possible that your installation was designed before the 1st Jan 2019 even though the installation was completed after the 1st Jan 2019. This would mean that at the time of design there was no requirement for an SPD.

puntoboy likes this.
  4. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

I think as coloumb has said most electricians rely on the value of the installation not justifying an SPD.

The issue is most people want their electrics done by the cheapest electrician.. Even if an SPD is only an extra £70 (I fit them as standard on a board change), you lose work because the customer says sorry another electrician is £70 cheaper. Its also the case that in a dual RCD then the RCD should be the same rating as the fuse unless all the breakers are less than the RCD rating after diversity. Yet a lot of places (Screwfix being the worst) still sell consumer units with 80 and 63 amp RCD's.

I only fit Hager consumer units/ upgrade tails etc, your looking at £250 just for the parts on a small consumer unit including 100A type A RCD's. Another spark will come and fit a £70 consumer unit from screwfix and not worry about upgrading tails. I have to explain why im more expensive but the other guy will still get work based on price alone.

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

How do you mean, the fuse?

6. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

But that's highly unlikely, if the cost of fitting one at the time of install is only £70 (going by another post here) then that's pretty much outweighed by most consumer electronics.

So this does seem to suggest that a Risk Assessment should have been carried out.

7. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

Sorry yes, that's a fair point. I'm still waiting for the builder to come back to me with a response to my questions, so this could well be their excuse for not fitting one.

8. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

Yep that does unfortunately seem to be the case with many installations. I'm not like that though, when I get quotes for work I weigh up several factors into which one I go for, not just the cheapest. Electrics shouldn't be down to the lowest cost option, people die when you cheap out on things like that.

CeSparky1 likes this.
  9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

No it doesn't. It says EXCEPT dwellings. Read the regulation. Dwelling don't need either an SPD's or a risk assessment. They are optional. Unless you living in a "palace" type of dwelling.

10. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

I guess this is probably one of these interpretation issues with the regs. I'm sure I've seen a few electrican YouTubers saying that they are now required unless a RA is completed. https://www.dses.co.uk/index.php/free-advice/198-the-sy2-d-surge-protector-spd

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  11. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It seems perfectly clear to me. The JW video only shows how to do the calculation IF you need it. Show me where else you think it says otherwise?

13. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

JW also explains that pretty much every new installation requires one. Around the 7minute mark.

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Tbh Why don't you take it up with who ever did the work? Presumably they are registered?

16. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

I have raised it with the builder. Just trying to understand how this all works whilst waiting for their reply.

17. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

OK so reading that matches what JW says.

JW goes onto explain that if the cost to install is say, £100, the the protected equipment must cost less that the installation, which is any house is going to be more than £100 so they should have one fitted.

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Most people would have insurance to cover electrical problems rather than rely on spd's. Remember JW might be a you tube "hot shot" but that doesn't make him infallible and he certainly doesn't work for the IET. Comments I've made about stuff he thinks is "correct" that are clearly wrong are often ignored or given scant responses.

More here

https://the-regs.co.uk/blog/?p=492

19. puntoboy

puntoboy Member

The regs aren't tailored so that insurance will cover anything if it goes wrong, the text seems pretty clear to me.

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well then if that's what you think why did you need to ask? Just show them the JW vid and get them to come round and put in the spd's at their expense. Open and shut case. Just check your cert and make sure it's dated after the 1st.

Good Luck!