Speaking of laminate flooring.....

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wizwoz, May 2, 2010.

1. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

What do you guys do going thro a doorway/architrave?
    Assume the room to be well decorated so the skirt/arch are staying and we using scotia bead.
    I leave gap and stop bead at start of arch mould but scribe tight(ish) around mould and between door jambs. I have heard of floors lifting cos of no expansion gap so it's always with a wince that I fit between the door frames.. but a 10mm gap would look naff, as would turning a scotia around a taurus archi..
    What do you blokes do??

2. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

put the underlay down at the door frame. Lie a piece of laminate face down ontop of it and then mark a line across the bottom of the frame, and cut to that line, using the overturned piece of laminate as a guide.
    Once cut, slide the laminate under the frame.

3. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Noooo..not 'how' to scribe.. I meant in the context of fitting the lam tight up to the frame & archi as opposed to a 10mm gap. But thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

4. Chippy21

Chippy21 New Member

Hey 'WizWoz'!
    Had a similar problem when laying a new floor in my hallway the other day. I had to go round 3 doorways which was awkward, i've seen in people's houses before where they just try and cut round the shape of the lining/doorstop/architrave and leave a 10mm expansion gap, then fill it with cork or mastic and it looks sh*@e. Found a good tip at www.carpentry-tips-and-tricks.com/Laminate-Flooring.html. Put underlay down next to the architrave and lay a board or offcut on top. Push them down tight to the floor and use that as a guide to run a thin saw (i used a hacksaw blade) and cut along the bottom of the architrave and lining. Had to bang a chisel in to get the last bit out but the flooring slid tight in underneath so I had no fiddly scribe! I did catch the skirting board a little but the scotia bead I used to cover the expansion gap covered that. I'd add a pic here it looks that good but I don't know how! And best of all, the missus is happy...

5. Chippy21

Chippy21 New Member

www.carpentry-tips-and-tricks.com/laminate-flooring.html.

6. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Hmm., fair point. I guess really you could leave out the underlay (if it's the thin type) and use a handsaw for ease. Funnily enough I was looking at those multi saws today.,, but I don't do enough of them to justify parting with that much lolly. Cheers chippy.

7. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I got a bit confused then. Isn't JarraMag and chippy saying exactly the same thing?

Both right too, as they say, basically you dont scribe up to the frames you sliiiide underneath them!

I use one of those super bendy japanese pull saws, easy as.

Ian
    --------------------------------
    Most days you can find me pottering about at <u>Guide</u>,
    part of <u>polishingpeanuts.com</u>.
    Come on in, I'll go and put the kettle on......

8. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Oops.. They were indeed saying the same thing! I must remember to read the WHOLE of the post. My mistake. Apologies!

9. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

No worries.
    The trick really is to use a scrap piece of laminate as a guide otherwise there is a tendency to angle the cut downwards towards the back of the door lining/frame.

Then when you slide the laminate under it gets pushed down leaving an ugly gap at the bottom of the frame.

So, underlay down, then a piece of scrap and lay the saw onto it, pushing down on the saw with your fingers to compress the foam a bit and rock the saw back and forth till through the frame, linings are even easier.

Good luck, first one is the hardest.....

10. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

Just started reading through this post again and you just confused the ** out of me! haha. Being hungover doesnt help!

A Fein Multimasters a nifty tool for such a job, cutting the bottom of the frame and arch's. Which I intend on investing in when money allows!

11. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Yes, carpenter mate of mine uses his for everything apart from stirring his tea!