Special non rcd socket for pat testing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tina lucinda lane, Jan 13, 2021.

1. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

2. The Happy Builder

Likewise basic PAT is a continuity and insulation test, indeed it might just be the insulation test.

Don’t over egg the pudding.

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  3. The Happy Builder

The scope of RCD testing required is what is within the capabilities of a PAT with built in RCD testing like this Megger:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/megger-pat-150r-pat-tester/2518p

Portable RCD Test

• Test voltage: Nominal mains 230 V
    • Test frequency: 50Hz
    • Test current accuracy: +2% to +8% (1 x I, 5 x I)
    • Trip time accuracy: ±1% ± 1ms
    • Trip time resolution: 0.01ms
    • Display range: 0 to 200ms (1 x I), 0 to 40ms (5 x I)

4. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

Thank you and excatly I'm not gonna be testing dB rcds only plug in types and in line types and on board extension lead types for the purposes of pat test and nearly every machine in my price range or that I'm going to fall in love with will cost more for a calibration than to buy do I care, no because its what I want to work with and soo long as it can meet a calibration requirements with out serious work then isn't it fit for contined use and I'm more than happy to take advice and understanding but I'm still free to make my own decision on the best way (with in legal requirements and the like) myself as I'm not a spark

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I had no worries about designing, installing, and testing and inspecting my own work, and as an in house electrician I also did PAT testing, and I have the required C&G, but today no longer do it, in the main due to insurance, but also as all my test gear is out of date as to calibration house certificates, I stopped worrying about calibration in 2000.

I had got a new job, the main point was I was to get the companies inspection and testing records up to date. They had bought some new test gear, but had found a unused PAT tester but some 10 years old, so sent it for calibration. I said it would be a good idea to computerise the records so software was got, but the software when it arrived wanted me to enter the insulation resistance, but it just had a pass light, so rung the software people who said simple, look at the calibration certificate and enter what it says it passes at.

But the certificate did not say what it passed at, so software returned and I used Excel instead with passfigure written when the insulation resistance should be, knowing once I got the figure I can use the replace command, it seems the local electrical supplier had send the PAT tester to some one else, so dealing with a middle man, but traceable record so no problem, but time ticked on, and I decided this could not continue, so some threats about taking business else where, and finally he asked could he take the PAT tester back to the calibration house they could not find the TRACEABLE record.

Then the phone call, and now we are talking about 6 months so a lot of records to be up-dated, and he says the PAT tester was too old, and when made the pass level was lower than it is now, and it could not be set to new level, this was a factor of 10, so all my PAT testing records for 6 months were useless. To keep our business they gave use a very good price on a new top of range Robin PAT tester, but clearly traceable records are useless, I got a 1 MOhm resistor to calibrate in the future all done in house.

If I was not in house what then? OK I would be re-testing most stuff every 6 months anyway where I worked, but can you see an electricians going around all the firms he had done PAT testing for and saying sorry I need to do it all again?

We had two of each type of test meter, and we would test the same items with both, and as long as the same reading we assumed both OK, never did get different readings, so what to do if that happened never came up, however it did latter, we had a loop impedance meter give wrong readings, however we always checked the supply at home, so only one days work lost.

But back in 2010 when I last did inspection and testing non in-house, we had not really worried about type A, type AC, type F, and type B RCD's, we knew they were made, and remember with narrow boats being careful only to use type A or better, but no one really worried, it was only as the electric car came along we started to see must use type B RCD on installation instructions.

Today even Bosch boilers say type A or better, and if you think about it, with a mid position three port valve type AC RCD's have never been acceptable, but I had never really thought about it.

But failing some one else's work is very different to not doing it that way yourself, so I would not fit a type AC RCD with a three port valve, but as to condemning some one else for doing it, would not with a TN system.

So really only worried about TT systems, but how do I know if any equipment I am testing has one diode blown in the bridge rectifier? So I suppose today I would need a new PAT tester, that will detect a blown diode in a bridge rectifier? Where a switch mode power supply should work 100 to 250 volt at 230 volt unlikely it would stop working with one diode blown, just glad I'm out of it now.