Speed up fixing skirting?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by The Apprentice King, Oct 14, 2007.

1. The Apprentice King

The Apprentice King New Member

Hi can anyone recommend a faster way of attaching skirting to masonry other then drilling and screwing? I have seen one of the Paslode nail guns which can fix to masonry but was wondering if actually enabled a quality finish.

Thanks

2. lamello

lamello New Member

use a 50mm masonry nails in an ax minster masonry nailer and gripfill. dead quick. Do Paslode do a masonry nailer?

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

yes two models

ones gas oprated

the other is cartridge operated

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

i wouldnt fix skirtings with this type of tool, its job is to fix battens to concrete and steel

its a first fix tool

5. lamello

lamello New Member

Are you saying you wouldnt fix skirting with a masonry paslode or you wouldnt fix skirtings with a masonry nailer fullstop? Interested as to why you would not use a 13g nailer for fixing skirtings. Used in conjunction with gripfill it certainly works for me. I get a tight hold into all materials with a indentation perhaps 3mmx4mm to fill. I cant really see a problem with it. Surely its what its dsigned to do? Its certainly sold by Ax minster with second fix in mind.

6. lamello

lamello New Member

This is the description of what I use. It does exactly what it says on the tin apart from it does struggle some time into very hard surfaces with the 63mm nails

Masonry Nailer

A very impressive air operated masonry nailer which will drive hardened nails with ease into a whole variety of hard surfaces such as brick, light concrete, insulating blocks, screed and plaster. The range of nail length, from 18mm to 64mm and the 80 nail magazine capacity make it a natural for second fix work. The magazine is secured by a spring-loaded latch which means that re-loading can be done in seconds. There is the usual safety latching system and the air exhaust outlet can be rotated to the most convenient position.

7. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

this is how i do it.
    compound mitre saw

Tool belt, filled with screws / plugs.

SDS drill with 7mm bit.

Cordless with countersink (if needed)

cordless with screw bit

caulk gun

so once i am set up i am flying.

best way to fix skirtings in my opinion, may take a bit longer then gripfill or nail guns, but much more solid.

8. lamello

lamello New Member

Sorry to disagree but I will. A proper masonry nailer(not a brad nailer or a paslode first fix) using hardened masonry nails coupled with a gripfill is equally as secure and solid a fix as screws and plugs if not more secure and much much faster and much much less to fill fixings wise. I also fix clear finish skirting this way just a touch of wax to fill the holes. Once you have fixed skirting this way you will never go back to screws and plugs. I can do perhaps 16-20m skirting per hour this way(that includes mitring and scribing). Ive fixed thousands of metres of skirting using screws and plugs and I can tell you this is just as secure a fix if not better. Plus no brick or block dust smearing everwhere.

9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

the guy asked for information on masonry nail guns

i will say again for the hard of hearing (and the ignorant)

paslode make TWO masonry nail guns, one is gas operated (and i dont mean the 350) the other is cartridge operated

masonry nails are not second fix

and for those who think a nail gun that fires 90mm nails is a secondfix gun..................... you havent a clue about carpentry

10. lamello

lamello New Member

I havent said owt about 90mm nails. read the subject and then read my responses. Note that the question was how to speed up skirting. I replied with how I fix skirting fast.

11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

the guy asked about fixing skirting to masonry

a 350 paslode is quick ill grant you but it wont touch masonry

use a 350 paslode on skirting on one of my jobs and youd be off after the first nail

12. lamello

lamello New Member

I dont quite understand why you are getting on your high horse. So far I dont really believe you have contributed anything of any worth to this subject apart from to offer your ramblings of a clearly confused individual. Are you so egotistical that you believe that every comment is directed at you. All I have said so far is that I use my masonry nailer for fixing skirting to walls quickly. What is wrong with that. Nothing . Who mentioned 90mm nails. Er you did. I simply stated that I use my masonry nailer note masonry nailer for fixing skirting to masonry note masonry. Where have i suggested that a 90mm nailer is a second fix tool. Er nowhere, nust have been in your deluded head.

13. lamello

lamello New Member

You clearly have some issues with reading and writing mate. I said
    "Sorry to disagree but I will. A proper masonry nailer(not a brad nailer or a paslode first fix) using hardened masonry nails coupled with a gripfill is equally as secure and solid a fix as screws and plugs"

do you have trouble understanding what the word not means? A 350 is for wood to wood. people on her have advocated using 350s and bradders for fixing skirtings to walls. I state here not to use them. What part dont you understand

14. lamello

lamello New Member

And dont bother arguing with me about masonry nails and second fix. Argue it with axminster. Also all the way through the topic I have clearly stated I use a purpose made masonry nailer designed for fixing skirting to masonry for fixing skirtings to masonry. You started rattling on about 350s you loon. Show me where I have advocated using anything other than a purpose made masonry nailer and I will give you my ts55 and all my systainers and my 2700 guide rail

15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

ill grant you fixing skirting with a masonry nailer is quick

a masonry nailer isnt a second fix tool

16. lamello

lamello New Member

also you clown do you actually know what a hardened 13g nail is. Er its designed to be used in conjunction with a 13g masonry nailer for fixing to masonry surprisingly. thats what i do. As for me being on one of your jobs do me a favour. 1. I have standards 2. you couldnt afford me.

17. lamello

lamello New Member

Argue that out with axminster I really dont care. that description is cut and pasted of of axminsters website. Last time i checked skirtings were second fix job

18. lamello

lamello New Member

Surely if it does a second fix job up to second fix standards it is by definition a second fix tool. Anyway I dont really care. Doing skirtings fast earns me a bomb so i'll keep knocking on thanks mate.

19. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

so give us a link to the tool

if its the one of the ones that drives hardened T nails

i will scrub your front step with a toothbrush