speedfit connection on central heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by pargolfstu, Jan 21, 2009.

1. pargolfstu

pargolfstu New Member

can anyone advise me on this, i have just fitted a kitchen for a customer i had to move a radiator i have used yorkshire fittings but the last connection needs to be a tee can i use a speedfit tee for this as one of the pipes remains wet and i have had problems before trying to solder onto a wet pipe, if its ok to use speetfit will i still need inserts for the copper pipes

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Speedfit is absolutely fine, but don't use inserts!

But do make sure the copper pipe ends are de-burred fully and push them in carefully, making sure they go in the full depth.

3. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

Not sure how good or expensive they are, but if it's on show could you use a copper push fit fitting? B&Q sell them. They look like an oversized end feed fitting

4. pargolfstu

pargolfstu New Member

cheers, i use a pipe cutter, the plumber i use would only ever use copper connectors with central heating but hes very much old school and is not keen on pushfit.

5. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

use a compression if you dont want to use a pushfit then

6. devil's advocate

D'oh!!

Of course... :(

7. marv8

marv8 New Member

don't bother with that tosh if ya gonna do it properly ensure the system is drained properly and solder, that plastic sh*te always leads to problems. always!!!!

8. devil's advocate

"...that plastic sh*te always leads to problems. always!!!!"

And the Sweeping Statement of the Year award goes to the twit marv8.

9. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Nothing wrong with plastic plumbing when done properly.

10. GKU

GKU New Member

"don't bother with that tosh if ya gonna do it
    properly ensure the system is drained properly and
    solder, that plastic sh*te always leads to problems.
    always!!!!"

Doh !!! brain ert's , always use copper over plastic whenever possible , but as GB says - there is nothing wrong at all wiv speedfit when CORRECTLY fitted ,(wiv the emphasis on <u>CORRECTLY</u> fitted ) :)

11. marv8

marv8 New Member

devil, he asked for an opinion so i gave him one if ya gonna do it properly use copper. i guess by the sounds of it you're either one of these diyers or ya just someone who likes doing a ***** job!!!!! as for the award gladly accepted thanks!!!

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

Don't worry Marv. You use copper mate like a proper plumber. Whilst you're still draining down I'll have done the job, finished my cuppa, and done the next job.

Strange how people will trust O-rings in showers, etc. but not in a push fit. Maybe they're made using that leaky rubber?

13. marv8

marv8 New Member

imran another no hoper u crack on mate, sort of comment i'd expect form some cowboy, guess when the customer calls and says its faulty you would charge to go back when ya done it wrong in the first place!!!

14. Walterfilter

Walterfilter New Member

nothing wrong with a pushfit solution when properly applied...they only Always cause a problem when incorrectly fitted or mixed....some plumbers also suffer from tunnel vision...........

15. imran_

imran_ New Member

If mine leaked I'd be asking JG to fix it, since it would have been installed properly. Which compression/end feed suppliers offer a 25 year warranty??????

I've yet to see a PROPERLY installed Speedfit, where inserts are used, pipe cut properly, inserted to the proper depth and fully supported come loose. Ever.

I've experienced olives blowing off that weren't quite tightened when heated, and personally experienced nuts splitting under load that have caused leakage/damage.

The problem with all plastic push-fit is that the people who use it most are DIYers / CCCs who see it as a "no experience required" solution. And then install it incorrectly. For an experienced installer it is a godsend - no drain down, no heat required, water tight fitting on a pipe gushing water quicker than anything.

If they were as cheap as end feed, as small as end feed, and aesthetically pleasing as a good end-feed joint (rather than solder everywhere) I'd probably use nothing else. It will make me more money and is guaranteed by the manufacturer for 25 years.

As it is, 10p for an end feed coupler compared to ~£1 - £1.5 for a push-fit, I'd rather save the money and make more profit.

Cowboy, me???? It's you that install components that DO NOT come with a 25 year guarantee :)

16. GKU

GKU New Member

You will only ever get problems with Speedfit if it has been incorrectly installed !!!!
    Never had one problem with it myself (famous last words), Copper where possible but Speedfit does have its uses and I have no fears at all about using it whenever its needed , you must move with the times , always be willing to at least try out new ideas , otherwise our industry would never move forward and we'd still be using lead :O etc , etc , to say that it is "tosh" is a very "Dinosaur like" view , always be prepared to learn new things in our game (and life) and then when you've tried them form your own opinions , Speedfit has been "tried & tested" and as imran says , it comes with a 25 year guarantee - and you can't knock that :)

17. devil's advocate

Marv8, yes I'm a DIYer, but I'll happily post a picture of my own boiler install - all done in swept copper.

If I could be ar**d climbing into the upstairs eaves, I'd also post some photos of the Speedfit pipe there which delivers the H&C to the new en-suite.

Horses for courses. Nowt wrong with plastic pipe in the right place - I never have it visible.

(And, when I worked for my bro in his home-improvements store in a li'l isle in Scotland, we were one the the first to introduce Bartol Acorn pipe to the locals. That was more than 25 years ago...)

18. devil's advocate

"he asked for an opinion so i gave him one"

That wasn't an opinion - it was a silly, unjustified comment.

19. marv8

marv8 New Member

own boiler install??

swept copper??

you must be good!!!

does that include the gas aswell devil? meaning did you install that side too? did YOU test the gas??

i do hope not, hopefully you're still on that remote island!!!

20. devil's advocate

Tsk, of course. Original was in lead, so replaced with copper.

After doing the calcs.

And I only used one Speedfit on the gas line.