Speedfit pipe inserts

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ajones1722, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ajones1722

ajones1722 New Member

Hello all, newbie here, first post, please be gentle?

I've noticed there are two types of plastic pipe inserts available, the more expensive having 2 rubber rubber 'o' seals. Can anyone offer any advice as to when to use each type? Is there a special application for the ones with the 'o' rings?

thanks in advance..........

2. lightning bolt

lightning bolt New Member

all the same cheap tat use copper like the pros do

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Not really, superseal are more expensive. Speedfit is excellent so use it with confidence.

4. ponty 01

ponty 01 New Member

i only ever use hep 2o push fit,never had a problem,so cant comment on other brands

5. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

According to JG (I called them about this a while ago) you only use the superseal double o ring in their fittings. If you are using their pipe in a compression fiting you must use the plastic gland insert without the o rings.

I use Hep2O you only need one insert for all fittings in fact I roughed out my first all plastic heating system today (customer's choice) using hep with white 10mm tested to 8 bar. I have to say I might do it again. Done properly and tested it is a breeze.

6. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Well I am proud of my CC status been trading 3 years now and I rekon I have served my time. Si I herby declare myself a time served CCC.

7. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Wrong thread sorry.

8. imran_

imran_ New Member

Yes but the Hep don't have the extra O-ring for a double seal. The superseal inserts will work, but you have to put the olive on before the insert. Of course, always best to use the right one.

9. imran_

imran_ New Member

10mm plastic?? More the fool you. A lot more clipping to do, and it ends up sagging very easily if not enough clips. Carp then sits in the sag and eventually you get a blockage.

Plus as you sure you'll get enough heat through the system?? How many kW / BTUs does the house require for heat loss?

10. 10mm plastic?? More the fool you. A lot more clipping to do, and it ends up sagging very easily if not enough clips. Carp then sits in the sag and eventually you get a blockage.

And if you do it in copper there will be no sag? get lost.

11. imran_

imran_ New Member

15mm copper needs clipping every 1200mm horiz and 1800mm vertically.

Plastic 10mm needs clipping 300mm horiz and 500mm vertical. And 10mm pipe will only carry 2KW - it's either a super insulated house, a poky flat or a very cold place next winter

Doesn't bother me - I make loads of money out of ripping badly installed plastic pipe and doing it properly.

12. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Imran, Small system 6 rads & two towel warmers pipe well clipped it'll work very well. Like I said not my choice to use the plastic.

13. billhicks

billhicks Member

You can't use the super seal inserts when doing compression joints, gotta use the others.

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Well I have been using superseal in compression for about 20 years without problems!

The real reason JG made the other insert was to try and offer a cheaper alternative!

15. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Me too. The main advantage of the plain insert is that the nut and olive slide on easier, that' all. Personally I only ever use Superseal in all joints.

16. DIY Intermediate

DIY Intermediate New Member

I just recently fitted 3/4 super seal inserts with compression and it worked fine, I can't see the problem. That was 1 year ago and have checked the joints and they are dry. I also wrapped the olive in a few turns of PTFE just to be sure.

17. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Well-Known Member

I doubt you'll get a reply from the people who were contributing to this topic now. Did you notice the date of the post prior to yours?

18. DIY Intermediate

DIY Intermediate New Member

Yes I did notice the date, I wasn't expecting a reply to be honest, I was just googling this topic and this thread came up. I thought my reply would help out others in my situation and looking for an answer online.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  19. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I just thought I ought to mention it in case you hadn't realised.

I'm firmly with the first reply from 'lightning bolt' though.

DIY Intermediate likes this.