Speedfit

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bodgitandlegit, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Does anybody know the difference between BPEX pipe and PEX pipe and why the price difference? Is the PEX pipe up to the same standard and will it take the same pressure as the BPEX? I've looked at the JPG website and I can't find an explanation.

Cheers Les

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

In practice there isn't one, just different polymers to achieve the same result.

3. Thanks Captain

4. imran_

imran_ New Member

Not quite true. If I remember BPEX has an additional coating or layer to stop ingress of oxygen. Theoretically if you use PEX in a central heating system oxygen can penetrate the plastic.

AFAIK all PEX pipe from John Guest is BPEX, so no need to worry. They also do Polybutelene pipe which does the same job but is a little less like "fighting a rattle snake" when using in a coil

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

6. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

It's a shame I can't develop a good relationship with a UFH installer.

I would be delighted to take his offcuts off him for normal plumbing.

I have acquired reel ends of UFH JG speedfit pipe. They are too short to go under a floor without a join but perfect to run off some rads.

7. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

8. imran_

imran_ New Member

Some are spelt incorrectly?? PEX does not include a barrier against oxygen, hence the "B".

Not sure if the BS specifies that a barrier is to be included, since the old doddery people at BSI like to make standards that you have to adhere to but also need to buy at outrageous cost.

9. GKU

GKU New Member

Gents , spoke to guys at JG (Speedfit) about BPEX and PEX , their answer -
    (Quote) - "John Guest Speedfit make two types of pipe Crosslinked Polyethylene with a barrier (BPEX) and Polybutylene with a barrier (BPB). We <u>do not</u> make PEX as this would be Crosslinked Polyethylene without a barrier. The difference between the pipes is &#145;BPEX&#146; is slightly more rigid that the &#145;BPB&#146; because of the crosslinking (pipe is heated to very high temperature after extrusion to pull plastic molecules together for strength). This makes &#145;BPB&#146; easier to work with because it&#146;s a little more flexible. Both pipes are approved to the same BS7291 standard and both a WRAS approved".

Hope this clears things up for people ;)

10. GKU

GKU New Member

So <u>BOTH</u> have a barrier , one is crosslinked Polyethylene (BPEX) and one is Polybutylene (BPB) , the difference in them is one is more rigid than t'other , both are ok for the same type of job ;)

11. GKU

GKU New Member

imran , you are correct , its just spelling mistakes , ie - PEX is BPEX ;)

12. GKU

GKU New Member

It also appears S/F have got their wos-names in a twist with the spelling as well , you can get BPEX in staight lengths or coils (which can be a bit of a pig to work with when trying to straighten it a bit) , the Polybutylene (which is further down the page) is easier to work with ;)

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Thanks guys, I remember speaking to JG a long time ago about it and the conclusion was as it is now - carry on as normal and don't worry about it.

14. GKU

GKU New Member

15. mr speedfit

mr speedfit New Member

Hi There

BPEX is rigid
    PB is more flexible and easier to work with

16. Dayton Smith

Dayton Smith New Member

Can BPEX be used outside for laying under concrete. With or without being sleeved. Help needed.

17. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Their coil bpex pipe can be used outside in concrete but needs to be run continuous and in continuous conduit pipe.

Consideration of insulation is very important,different people prefer different makes of pipe.i prefer Hep :)

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

The big difference between the two, which i learned years ago is that one has a 'B' while the other doesnt! :p

19. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Think we learnt that in 2008 where this post came from ;)