Split CU or RCBOs?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by PoorOldWil, Oct 28, 2003.

1. PoorOldWil

PoorOldWil New Member

I am considering an upgrade of my old consumer unit, which has rewirable fuses(2 lighting rings, 2 power rings,an immersion heater radial and a cooker radial).A split CU would be OK, with RCD+MCB protection on the power rings & cooker unit and MCBs for lighting and immersion heater. Would it be better to use RCBOs for all the circuits? More expensive I guess, but are there any other issues around RCBOs (reliability? ) that I should think about? The advantage would be that a fault would only shut down the circuit in which it took place.

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

you are better off having a split load, you wont loose all power because the lighting circuits come from the main switch only side only power circuits come off the rcd.and you could always put your upstairs power on the main switch which would prevent you completely loosing power in the event of an earth fault

3. LIGHTNING ROD

LIGHTNING ROD New Member

Are you mad supersparky. Upstairs ring on the none RCD side.So the point about personal protection at 30ma goes out the window on one of your jobs then.My MY only a fool or amateur would do that.
    A split load is cheaper to install but RCBO's would protect the individual circuits.The norm is to go split load but thats your choice.

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

tcd protection is only required where a socket may be used to supply outdoor equipment so an upstairs ring, although i have hever done it, can be put on the main switch

5. supersparky

supersparky New Member

6. LIGHTNING ROD

LIGHTNING ROD New Member

Agreed but giving that advise is not really the done thing as we should be moving towards the saftey aspect of personal protection as described by the IEE for the users protection

7. supersparky

supersparky New Member

very true, another Solution in that case would be a split unit with one of the power circuits on the main switch side Protected by a rcbo that way if ther is a earth fault it is less likely to trip everything off, but you would still have full rcd protection to power circuits.

8. PoorOldWil

PoorOldWil New Member

Hi folks,
    Thanks for your responses. I think I'll use RCBOs for the two power rings and two lighting rings, and MCBs for the immersion heater radial and cooker radial (no socket on the cooker circuit!).That way, I get some protection when changing a dead lamp on a 2-way switched circuit!! The RCBOs are pricey, but 'the safety remains when the price has been forgotten' (mis-quote of old RollsRoyce slogan!).
    Wil