Split fence post - options?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paddington, May 27, 2009.

1. Paddington

Paddington New Member

Hi all

I have a 4"x4" wooden fence post that has split length-wise, roughly in half. My garden gate had 3 T-hinges and the middle and top ones caused the split when it took a battering in bad weather.

Is it possible to glue the split and wrap some form of metal banding around the post to pull the halves together?

I've been told that it would be better to replace the whole post, but I'm looking for alternatives? It has to be strong enough to take new hinges - which brings me on to another question...

For strength, would it be OK to use a threaded bar right through the fence post rather than screwing into it? I figured 2 bars per hinge? i'm just concerned that the same thing will happen again even to a new post if hinges are just screwed in.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Just fit a new post, it's not difficult!

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If not, glue and put bolts through(with washers) to pull it and hold it together. When fixing hinges, put screws in at opposite angles(screw one in to the left, one to the right etc) to try to find different grain lines. If necessary, pilot the holes first(not too big)).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

sensible answer no you cant fix it

but in reality you can fix it to around 80% strength with lots off banding wrapped around but would look awfull

or several coach bolts

you get the idea

big all

5. Paddington

Paddington New Member

Thanks very much guys