Spot / Downlight wind

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by uncle sam, Dec 2, 2019.

1. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

I have a front extention for an enterence way with a flat roof. It has 2 downlight that light the area well but i can really feel the wind coming through them.

They are probably fairly old so thinking to replace them with modern ones.

Are they are kind that are really sealed up to stop a breeze coming in or would all modern ones prevent this as standard?

2. xednim

xednim Active Member

fixed led type yes, but if you will get different type that is not air tight you can stuff the void with rockwool

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Pop out one of the lights and you may find that it’s just a cheap ‘pressed’ type fitting that is simply a lamp holder and a bezel that sits on the ceiling - not much else to stop the wind blowing through

If so, (?), change fittings to ‘Fire Rated’ downlights

May not actually need fire rated in this position but they’re generally better constructed and quality and enclosed (do have air holes for heat to escape but shouldn’t be a problem)

Could go a stage further and buy IP Fire Rated as these have a glass cover over lamp so even more sealed against drafts

Of course, to prevent drafts, any downlights needs to fit snuggly into ceiling cut out holes

4. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

Thanks dave, that makes perfect sense, just ordered some.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Pleased to have been of assistance

So lights fitted, are they just the simple metal ring with a lamp holder attached ?

6. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

Narr they are E27 spot lights and are quite chunky, the hole is 120mm. There was a sticker on them saying inspected in 1994.

They are double insulated, i didnt realise double insulated existed in the 90s.

7. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

New lights fitted, I went with the JCC V50 integrated, fire and IP rated downlights, had to also get their converter plates as my holes were rather large. Super simple to fit, much brighter, they have a switch that lets u change between cool or warm white and its sealed all over so no more draft coming in, might stick some more rockwall up there at some point but got now £50, job done.

Thanks for your replies!!