Spotlight - how to remove bulb?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by WJG, Oct 9, 2022.

1. WJG

WJG New Member

I've just moved into a new house and one of the spotlights in the living room needs replacing, however I can't for the life of me figure out, how to get the bulb out.

Can anyone advise? I've attached a couple of pictures.

It won't turn, there don't appear to be any clips, it's not held in by a wire, and the fitting will only come out of the ceiling by a centimetre or two.

Attached Files:

2. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

normally either the bezel twists off, have a metal ring to keep the lamp in or you have to take the whole thing down, they have springed arms that keep them up..

3. WJG

WJG New Member

I doesn't seem to do any of these. I've tried pulling the fitting down, but it feels like if I pull any more, the ceiling will come with it.

4. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

Yep thats normal, they can be a pain to get down, you need to push the fitting to the side and pull down on an edge, finding the wings and folding them in, just look up downlights on google and you will see what I mean, but they are often very tight..

5. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

If you do pull it out of the ceiling, watch the spring dont catch your finger(it hurts)

Abbadon2001, Astramax and McSport like this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

There are two common sort of LED downlights.

> Lights where the lamp can be replaced - usually the lamp is accessed by simply turning a front bezel, or removing a simple retaining clip. You shouldn’t need to remove the unit ftom the ceiling to replace the lamp.

> lights that are “integrated”. The lamp and driver are all one unit. If it stops working you have to remove it from the ceiling a replace the whole thing!

possibly it’s the integrated type. Carefully remove from the ceiling and tell us the make and model.

mind your fingers!

7. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

To be fair it does look like it is a removable GU10 lamp and there is a very common type where you have to pull the down light down, they are held in by a clip that you push the lamp in from the side...

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Looking at the first photo, looks like 2 ‘lugs’ at say 2 and 8 o’clock if compared to a clock face

These appear to be attached to the bezel that fits over the GU10 lamp - not seen a design like that myself. They must serve a purpose ? Hold bezel in place ?

9. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

Yeah not sure, only real way to tell would be to pull the downlight down from the ceiling.. There might be another downlight that comes down easier to check, often on an EICR I go round checking a few downlights to find the easiest one to take down as they are almost always wired with single insulated cable outside of an enclosure..