Spur off solar panel circuit for outdoor socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DamoZaz, Jun 10, 2021.

1. DamoZaz

DamoZaz New Member

I have a 4mm swa cable coming down the outside of my house from my solar panel inverter to a 20amp mcb in the cu and there's a junction box on the outside wall where the swa cable enters the house. Can spur off this junction box to provide an outside socket. I was thinking to use a weatherproof switched fused spur and a weatherproof double socket with a built in rcd. If so, do I need to use 4mm throughout or can the fused spur to socket section be 2.5mm to make it a bit easier to work with?

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Solar panels, and EV charging points have some special rules, based around supply type, with auto cut off if voltage goes below 207 or above 253 and special RCD protection, so really need to get an electrician, to work out what is permitted your case.

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

My answer would be no, the reason being that the cable and MCB are dedicated and exclusive to the solar installation.

4. DamoZaz

DamoZaz New Member

Thanks for your feedback, I guess the inverter handles all of the special stuff you meantion MGW because there's no special RCD or anything else on the cable side, it's connected to the CU like any other 20 amp mcb/cable although the current flows in both directions and also it is a dedicated circuit as Bob mentioned so that's why I was querying it. Unless soemone knows if it's definitely fine to do it I'll probbaly find an internal socket to spur off but's it's going to be a much bigger job as none of them are on the outside wall that I need them to be!