Spur socket advice please

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Martin T, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Martin T

Martin T Member

I have a double socket in a kitchen cupboard that powers a hob and pull up power outlet on my island.

As you will see there are two wires from the back. Am I ok to spur off this as I would like to install a socket at the other end of the kitchen island.

If yes, can you get three wires to grip in the back of the socket or am I better putting the existing wires in a junction box and taking one feed from this to power the existing socket and another for the new socket?

TIA

Attached Files:

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes, what you're suggesting is ok although you should ascertain that this is a ring circuit and that what you're seeing isn't already a spur.

3. Martin T

Martin T Member

Ah....any advice on how I would do that? Cheers.

I was thinking that as there are two wires coming out then the chances of it being a spur are not likely. But clearly whilst a competent DIYr, not an electrician.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You're probably correct but it's just possible that it is a spur feeding another spur!

5. Martin T

Martin T Member

Is there a way to check for sure?

Also would it be ok to try and get the three wires in the back of the existing socket or go junction box route?

Thanks

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

At your consumer unit or fusebox ,what amperage is the circuit breaker or fuse that protects the circuit that this socket is on ?

7. Martin T

Martin T Member

The house was totally rewired 3 years ago so there is a bank of these. All 30amp I assume.

Attached Files:

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

After isolating the circuit, remove the socket then use a multimeter to confirm continuity between the two brown wires.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

32 amp actually,and highly likely to be ring final circuits. Nevertheless you should test the donor socket is part of the ring with a test instrument. If it is, you can take a spur from it directly with a third cable.

10. Martin T

Martin T Member

Perfect thank you all. I'll do as suggested.