Spur to Leds

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mark Upperdine, Oct 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mark Upperdine

Mark Upperdine New Member

Hi all,
    Recently had an electrician put in a spur off a socket quite high up so we can have leds behind a pelmet running across some sliding wardrobes we have. Trouble is knowing nothing of electrics I'm not sure what i do next, do i just buy some leds, open the spur up and match up the wires or do i need some sort of plug or transformer or something?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Depends on what you buy ,and how they need to be connected.
    If they come with a plug fitted ,you will need a socket for Instance.

3. Mediator

Mediator New Member

I've never seen any LED strips which connect directly to the mains. They all have some sort of supply/driver/controller. There may be something which plugs into a socket, or something with flying leads which would connect to an FCU.

Choose your lighting, and then see what you need to allow them to be powered. If you end up needing a socket you can swap the FCU for it.

4. Mark Upperdine

Mark Upperdine New Member

Im sure he said he made it only a 3 amp or something like that, the spur just has like a on/off switch and a housing where the fuse is I think, no socket or any obvious point where you plug something in. Being so bad with electrics and new to leds im still unsure how i would connect them, whats an FCU again sorry?

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Fused connection unit = FCU
    ( Commonly referred to as a fused spur ...what you have)
    Buy whatever you like and come back here ,show pics ,and be advised !!!