Sputtering hot tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by JLew, Apr 14, 2019.

1. JLew

JLew New Member

Hi all, I have a specific problem with the hot tap in the sink in the bathroom which I hope someone may be able to help me with.
    The hot water pipes run from a combi boiler in the loft to the bathroom sink and then the bath. After the hot tap has been running on the bath, the first time the hot tap is used in the sink it splatters air out first. This is the only time it does it. The only way I have found to avoid it is if I open the sink tap at the same time as I open the bath tap and then switch it off afterwards.
    I'm not sure whether this is a fault with the tap or the pipework?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

An aerator suitable for high pressure on tap (if possible) will prevent the splashing problem.
    Doesn’t solve the cause though

3. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Active Member

Just a thought. What sort of tap is on the sink? It's possible air is being drawn back into its pipework through its spout when you run the bath tap. Get someone to turn on the bath tap while you put a hand over the basin tap outlet and see if you can feel a slight suction. If you can, that's the problem.

This is only possible if the basin tap has a ceramic disc valve mechanism. If it's a conventional full turn type (ie the handle turns through 360 degrees or more), we'll have to think again.