Square towel rail valves

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by J Savva, Jul 1, 2019.

1. J Savva

J Savva New Member

upload_2019-7-1_13-5-10.jpeg

Can anyone help me as to how to remove the valve cover? I’ve tried pulling it and I’ve tried leveraging it with a flat head screw driver but it’s not budging?

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Why do you need to remove the shroud ?

3. J Savva

J Savva New Member

I have a leak, and the drip is coming from there. I’ve been told that there’s a nut inside once I get that off that will just need tightening.....but it doesn’t seem to come off unless it just needs brute force ‍♀️

The Teach likes this.
  4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Tbh,you need new valves (the pair) there are some awfull quater turn square/cube designer look a like import valves on the market but there again some are actually very good ;)

Best get your local heating technician to provide quality valves and to swap them out :(

J Savva likes this.
  5. J Savva

J Savva New Member

Does that mean that it’s likely to come in f even for a temporary fix? Is there anything I could do until my husband gets back at the end of the week? ‍♀️

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A bowl and towel - unless it really is running out fast!

Try wiggling it back and forward whilst pulling off.

J Savva likes this.
  7. J Savva

J Savva New Member

I did that earlier and it’s gone from a drip to a flow......bowl in place! I was really hoping I could fix it before he came back but I guess you can’t win em all ‍♀️

8. Pollowick

Can you turn off BOTH valves on the radiator - that may reduce the flow.

J Savva likes this.
  9. J Savva

J Savva New Member

Thank you, I “think” I’ve done this, it’s gone back to a drip.....for now

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Look on all sides of the square cover for a small hole, if there is one, likely to be a small grub screw inside with a hex socket head, unscrewed with an Allen key

Apologies if you’ve already done this and there isn’t one - I’m just taking a guess here

If there isn’t a screw fixing, then it ‘should’ pull off, but even some regular plastic caps on rad valves can be tight to pull off

When you say you’ve tried levering with a screwdriver, try again but with 2 implements, one at each side, at the same time

Careful not to damage the chrome or chew up the metal so use something with a wide blade and wrap, even with some kitchen roll or thin cloth

Good luck, worth another try

J Savva likes this.
  11. J Savva

J Savva New Member

Thanks for this, when I did it earlier it’s started to steadily flow, I’ve got it to a slow drip now and I’m loathed to touch it...will be a nice surprise for hubby when he gets back from work trip ‍♀️

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha yep,,,,,,,what a nice surprise indeed on the fellas return

Your all heart ain’t ya :)

J Savva likes this.
  13. Pollowick

Tell him he owes me a pint or two!

J Savva likes this.