Squeaky floor solutions

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by aad74, Oct 31, 2018.

1. aad74

aad74 New Member

Recently moved into a new house and the downstairs flooring is driving me crazy. The noise is unbearable in almost every room.

The flooring is constructed as follows. Concrete beam and block base overlaid with 50mm rigid insulation with t&g chipboard top surface.

We tried with limited success to replace the hallway floor with traditional t&g planks (110mm). To do this we removed the chipboard and insulation. We then fixed 50x50 timbers to the concrete blocks and refitted the insulation between the wooden beams. Finally we screwed and glued the t&g down to the wooden beams. This dramatically reduced the noise but it’s still not perfect. It seems that due to the block construction the material around the fixing is working loose because the block is crumbling away.

We now have the kitchen, living room and reception room to sort out but I am looking for a better solution to the problem. My current thinking is to remove the chipboard and replace it with a concrete slab laid on top of the insulation. The issue is I only have the thickness of the chipboard for my concrete (19mm). I could replace the 50mm insulation with 25mm which would increase my concrete slab to 44mm but I’m not a builder and I don’t know if this would be thick enough.

Any advice on what to do would be great.

2. collectors

collectors Member

At that thickness you will get problems with caking. If it was on top of concrete i would say Mapei self levelling compound done with a couple of layers. You could just lay the floor again with good glue on all the T&G joints.

3. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Did you glue the T&G joints? The T&G chipboard flooring on the insulation should act as a floating floor without any creaks. Perhaps the blocks underneath have some high spots causing the insulation to rock?

If you're prepared for the disruption:
    1. Lift the chipboard and insulation.
    2. Take out the blocks and replace with modern insulation blocks such as https://www.jablite.co.uk/technical-resource/beam-infill-suspended-floors/
    3. Then lay new T&G chipboard with glued joints. (or a screed if you want underfloor heating)
    4. Enjoy a lovely snug quiet floor.

4. aad74

aad74 New Member

The chipboard was glued to when the house was built 14 years ago but I think over time the glue as degraded. As I said we have had the hallway modified but now we have the issue with the fixings which go into the blocks coming loose and you get a gritty grinding noise but it’s only very faint.
    I think the blocks have a bit of movement in them also which doesn’t help.
    I’m thinking of ripping up the chipboard and replacing with proper t&g planks and using the best glue for the job. Not sure which glue to use so I will research. Any advice on glues ?

5. LEH

LEH Member

Egger D4 Joint and Joist/Caberfix D4 for the glue. As the name suggests, use on joists and joints. It's polyurethane based so strong and gap filling (foams up a bit on curing, easy to trim back after cured with a chisel). Videos on Youtube.

6. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Don't bother with narrow T&G boards. They're just more work and more joints means more scope for creaks!

Once glued the chipboard will be pretty much monolithic. Use the opportunity to upgrade your insulation to PIR. Also pop in a DPM on top of the insulation to cut out draughts. Turn the DPM up the wall and seal it to the wall behind the skirting.