Squeaky Floor

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by clanger, Jul 10, 2018.

1. clanger

clanger New Member

I've recently bought my first house and am very new to doing DIY. I've just about finished painting and looking to get carpet down asap, however one of the bedrooms has a very squeaky floor. There was laminate on top, and the floor is chipboard. There's a couple of places where the previous owner has cut into the chipboard for access, and it squeaks around there as expected, however also at other joints. I think it's tongue and groove flooring which has been nailed down.

I'm wondering whether I will need to replace the floor, or if I can attempt to fix it down? Is it something I can do myself, or will I need to get someone to do it for me?

Can provide some photos. Thanks!

2. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

If the floor has been cut it may not have been reinstated properly. Take out the cut sections and make sure there are solid timber batrens under the joints to support the cut edges. These should be glued and screwed to the underside of the chipboard and/or along joists and the cut sections replaced and screwed down to the battens.
    Nailed down chipboard can work loose after a while so screw the panels down tight to the joists. Preferably without you going through any pipes or cables in the process !! Knock any protruding nail heads down.

3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Where the previous owner took up parts of the floor the chipboard could have been put back down and may have an edge rubbing against another edge, if that's what has happened re-lift and move over slightly to provide a clearance and fix into place using screws.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Nails should be banned from flooring, as they will always work them looser than when they were first whacked in. Even just the seasonal expansion and shrinkage of the wood will help work the nails loose. I always use good quality, long flooring screws, and screw them in really tight.

Regarding the removed and replaced boards, as other posters suggest, you need to provide support that is at least as good as the tongue and groove boards would have provided. The best way to do this is with support boards that support the full length of the cuts. and both boards on either side of the cut should be should be glued and screwed to the support board underneath. I would screw both sides every 200mm along the length of the cuts using an interleaving pattern, e.g. side A, then 100mm later side B, then 100mm later side A, ... such that the screws on side A are 200mm apart.

5. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

screw it

6. LEH

LEH Member

Spax chipboard screws are great and worth the price.