Squeaky Stairs Advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pudsey, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Pudsey

Pudsey New Member

Hi

I’m trying to solve the squeaky stair issue that I have, the house was build in the 1980’s and it appears someone has previously attempted to solve the issue before but not very well.

ill add some pictures but the noise seems to be coming from movement between the step and the riser (where they join underneath) I’m able to tap on some timber wedges here.

Im not sure what the best way forward is, I was wondering if I need to add a timber under the steps fixing the ends to the stringer and screwing up into the step but wanted to get advice before I go to far down the wrong path.

09C3460D-5838-43FA-96CD-56F017007916.jpeg

thanks

2. ICharger

ICharger Member

I can recall seeing a video of someone using some type of foam to sort out this exact problem. Sorry, can't find the link. Apparently, it`s the nails rubbing against the wood that cause the squeak. I`m no expert.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Remove the bits of batten hanging down as they're doing nothing. Renew or add more triangular glue blocks to the tread and riser intersection but fit them with a PU based glue and pin them up to the tread with panel pins, or screw them up but you'll need to pilot drill and countersink them first otherwise they'll split. Leave the batten running up the middle as you'll need that to fix new plasterboard to.

4. Pudsey

Pudsey New Member

Ok thanks, can you buy the triangular blocks or do you have to make them?

The flex seems to be at the back of the step so would the small triangle solve this?

thanks

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've never looked if you can buy them as it's seconds to rip a length of square edged 2x2 in half, if the back is flexing then add some more screws to pull it all tighter, use fully threaded 4.0x 50mm or no.8's x 2".

6. Pudsey

Pudsey New Member

I have some 5 x 40mm are they too big?

I’ll see what I can do

thanks for your help

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No they should be ok providing they're fully threaded.

8. Hazza

Hazza Member

If your stairs are to be carpeted (or covered) knock out the triangular blocks and replace with a solid length of 50mm x 50mm. Run a bead of gripfill or similar to the underside of the joint between the tread and riser before fixing the 50x50. Screw the riser and tread from the face sides ( the areas where you would normally carpet) into the 50 x 50

9. sally green

sally green Active Member

I have the same problem but can't access the underside as covered. I was watching a tv show a couple of years ago and they said put in screws on the 'nose' edge. I will get my bf to do that when we have the stairs carpet changed later this year.