Squeeze off tool...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Jan 14, 2020.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Active Member

Just bought a new house which is plumbed exclusively with barrier pipe...

Are squeeze off tools worth trying?

It feels a bit odd to flatten a plastic pipe and then expect it to go back to normal afterwards!

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I did buy one a few months back.

I used it on 25mm MDPE water pipe and happy as had to identify my pipe between one other.

Going to keep as an emergency tool.

It will eventually go back. but have read you shoudnt squeeze the same place again, so identify with some insulation tape.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If new place would recommend fitting a full bore lever valve for the main as very easy to turn off while doing work.

Also check the outside mains stop tap is working as a back.

4. BiancoTheGiraffe

Cheers.

Mains cock is new so working fine.

This is for radiators, I want to move one without draining the whole system...

5. dcox

dcox Active Member

I’d use one on blue mdpe but hadn’t occurred to me to use it on barrier. Sounds risky.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've just done a search ans some have a range of 20-32 and other 16-32mm so would assume it would be fine on barrier pipe.

But wouldn't you need 2? i.e one for flow and return?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The one I have is ok for 25mm don't think it would be good for 32mm though even though it was listed as.

The 25mm MDPE didn't shut off straight away. Only when fully flat will it turn off.

Only the one time I used it, but saved me from cutting the wrong pipe, which would have ended in tears :(

Was about 95% sure it was the right pipe but had to make extra certain.

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

The pipes are all small bore and right next to each other, so I was wondering if I could get both together

9. BiancoTheGiraffe

I'm a bit nervous about it, but there are loads of off-cuts left in the loft so I was thinking of testing it first

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

No sure.

I did find that the pipe did need to be centered on the clamp as it applied equally pressure, but this was for a bigger pipe.

If not centred then the clamp comes down off parallel.

Might be ok for barrier pipe, but never really thought about using in in this case.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I'm over at my flat in a few days I will test it out on some 15mm barrier pipe.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I did see one of Toms video and he just bend the pipe to stop it, though he does look a little to heavy handed. As its going to be unlikely I have the tool on me when I most need it!

13. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Squeeze off clamps are handy for temporary isolation on mdpe pipe (gas or water), mdpe pipes have some memory and will partly spring back into shape,then a rerounding tool can used.

Are they suitable for barrier pipe ? maybe ask the barrier pipe manufacture or see their faq's;)

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have tried the tool on two lengths of barrier pipe.

Does seem to work for 15mm size.

15. dcox

dcox Active Member

I don’t doubt that it stopped the flow but I’d be concerned about any damage / weakening that may not be visible, and how it may void the manufacturers warranty - 50 years on speedfit (I think).

16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My suspicion is that it would cause delamination of the different layers of pipe and possibly a weakness in one of them. MDPE is a single material so you are just deforming it. Pure guesswork of course.

17. BiancoTheGiraffe

Cheers everyone...

I'll get one for emergency use only

18. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

What system do you have? Sealed or open? I guess sealed, like a combi?
    You don’t need to close off pipes to be able to couple onto plastic heating pipes. Just drop the pressure and do one pipe at at time.
    First close off any auto vents.
    It is only going to be push fit fittings or compression joints, so no bother at all with any water lying in pipes