Stained glass. Ideas ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by billfromarran, Nov 9, 2018.

1. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

We have aroom divider sittingroom/hallway which has the upperhalf glazed in frosted glass.It looks abit bare and plain,so I was thinking about trying to create a stained glass effect on the surfaceofthe glass.Anyone done this type of thing? I am looking for ideas. Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

You can get stain glass paint, some use acrylic paint and glue,no idea how though, as to ideas Pinterest, thousands of ideas,stained glass room divider, stain glass,etc.
    Some years a friend got a art student who was selling her work on the street, to come & paint some tall glass stairwell windows in her house with sailing ships.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/LindaAdele2/screens-room-divider-stained-glass/

Allsorts and PhilSo like this.
  3. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

Some of these are great, KIAB. Not sure if it's my actual taste (tho' some were compelling), but darned nice.

Bill, will it work? Yes. But I suspect it'll come down to the quality of the work, both artistic and technical. I think using real stick-on lead (or whatever they use these days) to demark the patterns would make a big difference - ie don't consider a 'painted' lead line.

Arran? How about some neat Celtic patterns?

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

I've done actual stained glass in the past - both copper foil and lead - once you get the knack of cutting, the rest is pretty easy. You can buy all the supplies online. Haven't done it for years, but if you want to have a go I can point you in the right direction. I will be doing it again soon because I've a window on a stairwell to fill on this house project I'm on.

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  5. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Have a look on eBay for stained glass vinyl. It comes in a roll in various patterns that sticks to glass.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Someone on here did their own recently - I thought it looked pretty good. I think it was the inner porch. I can't remember the theme of the thread let alone who the OP was - my sons have to wear name badges. I'll see if I can find anything.

DIY womble and ramseyman like this.
  7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

WillyEckerslike, Allsorts and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

10. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

Some great ideas fellas, much to think about. I have some rolls of stick on lead which I had been thinking about using,(it is very shiny so will it dull down over time?) I like the idea of sticky vinyl for the coloured bits. Thanks for all the replies.

Ps Allsorts good idea, we have red squirrels at the back and seals down the road, you have got me thinking about a wildlife theme. !

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    KIAB likes this.
  11. Allsorts

Photos! :)

12. Allsorts

Red squirrels! The last one of these I saw was in Princes Street Gardens - gorgeous little burgers.

If you could pay homage to them - afore they a' gang awa' (very sic) - that would be wonderful.

13. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

Hi Rusty, what I am planning is to use the existing window and overlay the stained glass effect using lead strip and coloured paint or vinyl.

14. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

We are inundated with them ,the island has no greys so they are very common. Their worst problem is their road sense. Non existent.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

16. Allsorts

Poor drivers, huh?

17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member