Stained wood or paint?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by woodmass14, Jan 16, 2020.

1. woodmass14

woodmass14 New Member

Forgive me if this is a silly question.

I've just started a project at removing every bit of paint in my house to be redone. I've run into, what i think is green paint? on the bottom layer of each wooden item (doors, skirting boards etc.) The heat gun does not react to whatever substance that is. I'm hesitant to sand it just yet in case its lead based paint. Just sanded the top corner to see how difficult it was to remove. The answer is very. I've been doing it outdoors so not too concerned but interested to know what substance it is.

The house was built in late 1800s. Whether these are the original doors, i couldn't say. The lock mechanisms are pretty ancient. 11.png 12.png

2. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

A chemical stripper may be the way forward or a dip and strip process if you can find one these days.

3. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Looks like the colour could well be Buckingham Green, very popular during the 50's and 60's so could well contain lead.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Depends where you are based but could try these http://cardiffdoorstripping.com/, they stripped 120year old pitch pine (I think) doors on a job I was on a few years ago, came out fantastic.

5. woodmass14

woodmass14 New Member

Thank you all for the information. I'll look into the chemical route and the company route. Cardiffs a little out the way but will see if there are companies nearby that do the same. Not bad for £21 per door! Would save me a lot of time.