stained wooden block worktops

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PAUL13861, Feb 19, 2019.

1. PAUL13861

PAUL13861 New Member

I have an old wooden block worktop that appears to have been oiled regularly as recommended but is now stained shabby looking with some black mould type staining round the sink.
    The client want to refurbish the work top and has said sand it down and re oil it.
    The problem I have is that within seconds my sanding pads get totally clogged up with sticky dust and become next to useless. I recon it will take hundreds of pads to get the job done.
    I have tried cleaning with copious quantities of white spirit but it appears to have no effect.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

2. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

Some of the oil/wax manufacturers make a removal liquid, look at their web site. Alternatively plane it off or use a scraper or scraper plane to take it off and then sand smooth. Others may have alternative remedies.

3. PAUL13861

PAUL13861 New Member

Thanks for reply. I was hoping to avoid scraping it off as its huge and would have to do it by hand. will take hours.

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  5. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Initially use a Cabinet Scraper to remove the top surface and then finish off with the Mirka system. The black mould can be removed with a wood bleach, Liberon make one and have used this with excellent results.

6. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Sanding the worktop down will not remove the black mould stains.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

100% true.

You could spend weeks sanding it and you will not get rid of it