Staining over existing decking stain

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Mypyh4oo, Jul 20, 2021 at 6:56 PM.

1. Mypyh4oo

Mypyh4oo Member

Hi all,

wanted to see if someone had any words of advise in regards to the below issue I am having.
    I had a new decking laid down last year and I stained it using the no nonsense decking stain and it turned out pretty good.

fast forward to this year I could see that areas had began to peel so I decided to re stain it. I cleaned the decking carefully and removed any flaking areas and smoothed out. I saw online that you could stain over existing stain as long as you did the above.

anyhow after applying 2 coats I can still see the bits underneath that I sanded back? Have I done something wrong or do I just need to go in with a darker stain in order to cover them?
    see pic for reference.

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Tilt

Tilt Active Member

Decking stain.......... not good IME. I made the mistake of using it before. I doubt you will recover it unless you can remove all the stain.

For future, use oil if you can afford to, IMO

3. Mypyh4oo

Mypyh4oo Member

Thanks for the reply. Pretty annoyed to be honest not gonna lie! Is there a paint I could use to cover it up completely or will a darker stain do the job potentially next year?

4. Tilt

Tilt Active Member

Anything (so, paint, stain) that sits on the wood will likely peel sooner or later IMO.

IMO a solvent based oil is best but only on clean wood. As said, unlikely to recover unless you are able to remove the existing stain.
    Others may have better or differing opinions or experience though.