Stair refurb query

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Stevo85, Oct 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Stevo85

Stevo85 New Member

Looking for a bit of help here guys

I am looking to do a stair refurb and want to remove the stud half wall at the top of the stairs and replace it with the glass panels to let more light in at the top of the stairs. I am not going to touch the existing newel post just sand it back and put a cap on the top of it

what’s the best way to tackle this job
    6DF15F6D-F48B-4A3B-8687-BBFE64817E00.jpeg

FAF86A0B-EE21-401C-A3E2-384E4A685B43.jpeg

What is most likely to be behind what looks like cladding on the wall and can it be removed

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Could be just thin ply over the top of the old Ballusters/spindles. If so, you could remove it and go back to the original

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Get the skirting off, then it depends if it's blockwork, plasterboard or ply/hardboard, either ways remove it all tidily, as CGN says there may be spindles hidden behind but I doubt it as the property doesn't look old enough, from the late 60's 70's at a guess. If it's block use a hammer and bolster, plasterboard and timber sheet a claw hammer and wrecking bar.

CGN likes this.
  4. Stevo85

Stevo85 New Member

Thanks for reply,dont think there will be spindles underneath,hoping it is just ply would make my life easier

5. Stevo85

Stevo85 New Member

its plasterboard maybe even that eggbox/honeycomb stuff inside it,yeah it’s an early 70s build so good guess

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Bash it out then, clean it all up, square up the bulkhead end, job done ready for glass. Personally I'd leave the current handrail in and give it a good scrape back to decent timber and chamfer the long edges to match the end, but that's me.

7. Stevo85

Stevo85 New Member

I did think about doing that but I wasn’t sure if I would need to put a half newell in at the wall end to brace it up, as I don’t know how the other end of the handrail is fixed

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You may, you may not, you won't know until you open it up.

9. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

By a strange quirk of fate - this is exactly what I've been doing today. Bit more involved - new oak newels, handrails and baserails, but you'll get the idea. Few bits to finish off on Monday.

All the advice from the other lads is spot-on.

IMG_2086.JPG IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2102.JPG IMG_2103.jpg IMG_2104.jpg IMG_2107.JPG IMG_2108.jpg IMG_2109.jpg

CGN likes this.
  10. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Just done something similar a few months ago. We used this company :-
    https://stairfurb.co.uk/
    The only thing I would not recommend is cladding the newel post. They supply a cladding kit which warped quite badly and was a bit tricky to fit. In hindsight I would have replaced the whole post, which they can also supply. Other than that it was a positive experience and very straightforward.

11. Stevo85

Stevo85 New Member

It’s now been passed on to the mrs to decide what she wants,but it will be getting started very soon