Staircase bulkhead- do I need to change for spiral staircase or ..?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Natalia, May 3, 2018.

1. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Hello, I am looking for any advice.
    In the spare bedroom is awful staircase bulkhead, is it possible to reduce this bulkhead space to min to make this room useful or I need to go high road and change staircase for spiral one? Is this solution to my problem? If so what cost's am I looking for roughly of course? How long would this
    take for all this work?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

95ec1cfdcd278327dcff957435f1c34a86a5f63a.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Never seen stairwell, so far into a room.

Got a photo from top landing showing stairwell.

3. Natalia

Natalia New Member

The only additional photos I have got, are these ones.We would like to purchase this house and thinking what we could do with this room.
    Is changing staircase for spiral one, or minimizing space of bulkhead will be possible without changing staircase? Or changing layout of the rooms upstairs? What would be the most effective and cheaper solution?

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

All to do with headroom going up the stairs, & how it's achieved,some houses have a high stairwell that's designed as such, other might pinch the required space from a adjoining room as in your case, whether you claim recliam the space is difficult to say without seeing the present stairwell.
    But,looking at first photo,the bedroom has provide the whole stairwell.

You might be able to tweak things,& fit a winders,90 degree turn, 180 degree flat turn,double turn stairscase,are just a few,all depends on space available, & exsisting joist layout,etc, but I think space is going to be tight.

5. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Are you able to tell me if we could use 90/180 degree winder? If so would be the rough cost? Is it possible to reclaim least part of the space in the bedroom?

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  7. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Make a bed out of the slope! :p

8. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Thank you so much for your replays, maybe we should think about incorporating storage, bed or something like this for kids? Somehow reducing bulkhead if possible and work with it.

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Your might find that stairwell in bedroom in 99% all show, just to make stairwell look impressive with height