staircase or floor tiles first

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by woodburner, Oct 8, 2008.

1. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Hello,

Would very much appreciate some advice. What is the most sensible option when deciding whether to put a staircase in first or to tile the floor first?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

wb

2. Depends whether the thickness of the tiles and any boarding would cause problems with the lie of the flight, assuming you have the flight already.

Otherwise it would be easier to lay the tiles first, no awkward cuts.

3. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

WB you could, as EKF suggested check the rise b4 tiling then you would eliminate awkward cuts if you tile the floor first! BUT what do you do if your fed up with the tiles in a feww years? Remove stairs, remove tiles, redecorate hall and landing, just to change a floorcovering, "sounds like aggro to me". Install stairs then tile, so you have a few awkward/difficult cuts, but its better long term! :)

4. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Fit the stairs first, especially if you have a newel at the bottom as this should be set into the floor, makes a much sturdier flight.

5. simz the tiler

simz the tiler New Member

No way would I tile a floor then let a laod of chippys try to stack a staircase in place, asking for trouble.

6. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Many thanks everyone,

I will put in the staircase first but will ask the tiler to estimate how much thickness the tiling is likely to be as the staircase company need to take that into account so the rises are even.

Cheers,

wb

7. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Many thanks everyone,

I will put in the staircase first but will ask the tiler to estimate how much thickness the tiling is likely to be as the staircase company need to take that into account so the rises are even.

Cheers,

wb

"I dont get this, you wouldnt ask a carpet fitter this, tiles are only a floor covering, unless youre putting 2 inch paving slabs down! it shouldnt matter" :(