Staircase Storage Project - Help!!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Stixxx, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Stixxx

Stixxx New Member

Hi!

I'm really hoping you can help. I'm looking to build some under-stair storage, but there appears to be concrete/breeze underneath my stairs. I have no idea if this is structural, or whether it's holding the stairs up, etc.

I've attached some photos to (hopefully) shed some light on my predicament! Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stairs 1.jpg Stairs 2.jpg Stairs 3.jpg Stairs 4.jpg

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

What about access to fuse box ? Pull out storage on wheels

3. Stixxx

Stixxx New Member

I was going to leave the end as a cupboard (but witha taller door!) Then have maybe 3 drawers in front where the concrete is.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Can’t see any initial problem with opening up the bottom section of the stairs. I reckon the block wall is there simply to support the mains incoming electricity and cu. ( obviously can’t easily remove that ) But honestly, it isn’t going to create a lot of storage space ( if any)

KIAB and DIY womble like this.
  5. DIY womble

Flat sheet of steel ,maybe 3mm thick glued and screwed to what I think is called the outer string, knock the wall out

6. joinerjohn1

If he knocks the wall out, what's gonna hold his mains incoming there? Skyhooks?

KIAB likes this.
  7. DIY womble

Assume this stays in place and boxed with access, just an opinion for reinforcement to give more options

8. joinerjohn1

Which “ wall “ are you telling him to knock out ?

9. DIY womble

I was thinking something like this https://imgur.com/aQYYHmp

10. joinerjohn1

Sorry, the only block wall I see there is the one supporting the incoming mains electric. The drawing you have posted makes no sense to me at all. The outer string of the stairs is supported by the joists its fixed to at the very top of the stairs ( or should be). I’m assuming the block wall midway up the stairs ( as per photo) serves no purpose at all apart from supporting the board the incoming mains is fixed to. It almost certainly isn’t supporting the staircase. ;)

Stixxx likes this.
  11. DIY womble

My sketch is an expanded view as in the second picture . As you pointed out , to knock out the small triangle to the left of the existing cupboard gives very little space , was suggesting to open up all of the area and leave only the corner section that the electrics hang on, make protected with access, if the stairs needs no reinforcements all well and good , but did this to a house of ours ( maybe Ott) for peace of mind as didn't like the stairs flexing with use.

12. Stixxx

Stixxx New Member

Thanks for your comments everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me. The key bit of info (for me) is that the block bit at the bottom isn't structural, and I can get rid of all of it! Thanks again.

13. DIY womble

I always overcomplicate things , just can't resist in case you compromise your options. I might change my name to " don'tlistentome,iknowwhatyouwant,but what about"

Stixxx likes this.
  14. Stixxx

Stixxx New Member

haha! I appreciated the input! If I was dealing with a larger gap, then I might look at reinforcing it, but as the space isn't really massive, it would be overkill I think. Thanks though! :)

15. DIY womble

Just to be clear https://imgur.com/eZ8wPPk

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ideally you want to have incoming mains and meter relocated to under CU, then pull out complete wall facing hall, and full height to stairs

Will then give you loads more space and options - just depends how much cash you wanna chuck at this project

If gaining more usable space, then it’s easier to justify spending more of your ‘hard earned’

Electricity provider will charge s hit loads to move board even a few inches. Know any friendly builders, they may know someone who does this on the side, but all done proper like of course (dodgy advice I know and may be pulled, but that’s exactly how we had ours moved several years ago. Guy from provider doing cash jobs during lunch break ! Lovely job and saved hundreds)

Then can have 2/3 doors full height to stairs with shelves, pull out storage, etc, whilst keeping access to leccie

Stixxx likes this.
  17. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I did something like this once. Although there were no services under the stairs you want to proceed as you are planning and relocate the services as far to the back as you can. Then remove the little wall to open the entire triangular void under the stairs. You don't need any reinforcement. Line the inside of the triangle under the stairs with board of whatever description you want, including the back and little doors to access the services. Then make up shelves doors for the triangular cupboard. We actually did all that in glass, which is not as expensive or difficult as it sounds, and the end result looked stunning.

Stixxx likes this.
  18. DIY womble

Did this with mine when the wife wasn't looking ,

Stixxx likes this.
  19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What relocated the meter ??

Yeah it ain’t difficult is it sparky work ..... just join incoming with some T&E or whatever you have to hand (bell wire maybe, speaker cable), few choc blocs and some insulation tape if ur feeling flush

How hard can it be ?

End of the day, if your lights and kettle works - then uv done a good job mate and should feel proud :)

20. DIY womble

Actually to confess how mad I am , I disconnected the lot , dug a small pit to pull the incoming and relocated to the outside wall in the lean too , a bit extreme but worth it in the end,