Stanley Bailey problems

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Unit 1, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've just had a look at my small Stanley block line.

i used a steel rule to check the flatness of the sole, and its not perfectly flat.:eek:

Don't assume you can use a plane out the box If you are paying a low price, I think with a bit of work I can fix this.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nothing I would say with that, it's a spray, some window cleaners can be a thicker liquid or a multi task liquid.

But, do I use household or auto glass cleaner.:p

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I'm going to have to buy an engineers straight edge, I have 2 stainless steels rules, when they are together daylight can be seen, so cant rely on the accuracy.

Today have spent a few hours sharpening chisels.

The block plane I have tried to flatten the sole, by keeping the iron fully on contact on stone.

I now keep the plane in an old sock, not just thrown into the toolbox

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not cheap an engineer's straight edge, my last one was around £40 for a 300mm.
    And the thicker ones with a taper edge are apparantly better, they keep their accuaracy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have a nice old Stanley Plough Plane - probably 40+ years old and it is sitting there gathering dust!

If anyone is interested - make me an offer as it will be better in a god home being used than doing nothing.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I don't think anyone will be interested in a plough plane, the router kind of replaced this tool.

there are quite a few of thees on ebay.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Managed to buy one cost me £18.

Can't rely on accuracy of a steel rule, my one is way out. (cheap one)

Managed to flatten the sole. This plane didn't get much use but now its cutting fine. Used an old stretchyeee sock (not smelly one :oops:) to keep it all wrapped up in, to save it getting knocked about.

Just use a sheet of aluminum oxide paper to flatten the sole, seems a bit sever - but does work. The videos I found interesting.

Will do the Record No.4 smoothing plane next week.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have alway used wet & dry paper starting off coarse/medium & ending up fine, doubt it make any difference from using alumium oxide paper.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've been using a the Axminister 'Premium' diamond stone for a number of years, for all my tools. No wonder I haven't been able to get sharp tools.

Now that I have an accurate straight edge I can see the stone needs to be thrown in the bin :(

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Should have bought a engineer's straight edge years ago.:p

It's a well known problem, not being flat lengthwise, a lot of complaint on various forums, also Trend's stone suffers from same fault.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Length ways the Axmisnister diamond stone is out by 0.05+mm.

Width ways you can get a 0.05mm feeler gauge through.

12. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

Try some aluminium oxide paper on some glass, I use a slab of 10mm toughened glass with grit paper, and also comes in handy for flattening my stones, which I have just expanded with a Taidea 1000/3000 combi stone.

13. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

Update on my Stanley Bailey. I emailed the CEO head honcho at Stanley Works USA, and as usual was passed to another bod, who surprisingly was alarmed to hear of so many faults and has asked me to send the plane to them for examination and replacement, also some photo's. I sent the pictures and a couple of phone vids, and am awaiting a reply. I think I will keep the plane as I have half re engineered it, and grind out the Stanley name leaving only Bailey, if only Bailey could see what Stanley are putting his name to these days. Have sorted out the brass nuts by removing the washers for now, will see how they sit when I put wood handles on, and will have to file a sixteenth off the frog adjuster plate slot then the frog will sit flat. the sole is not far off sorted now, just need some more grit, but the cheeks are going to need a lot of work, Stanley must be grinding them whilst wearing welding goggles.
    On a more positive note, I have a vintage Record 5.1/2 Jack arriving any day along with three vintage Marples gouges so happy days for now.

14. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

I jumped the gun a bit here, should of checked my emails first.
    Shipping costs to the USA paid for by Stanley, I am going to receive a replacement along with some other products. The guy I am dealing with is actually very helpful and friendly, he says the vids I sent were a huge help, hopefully stopping other tradespeople from getting the same purchase experience that I did.
    Guess it does pay not to accept poor quality from a major player, just had to do a very British thing and write a letter lol.

15. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

Anyone in the Middlesex area got a spare Record 5.1/2 sole plate? my plane arrived today in 2 parts. It is a 1950's SS (stay set) model, although the body is the same as the non SS one.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My brother in law was the head chippie at a stately home and also like to do a bit of carving and he sharpened his best chisels using jewellers rouge on glass.
    It's a load of arze as far as I'm concerned.
    If you can shave with your chisel it's good enough.

17. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

Found out yesterday, as a goodwill gesture Stanley in USA are shipping out the replacement no. 4.1/2 ( inspected ), along with a no.4, and a set of 8 Sweetheart socketed chisels. Stunned! is all I can say, didn't expect that much. I would have been happy with just a decent straight replacement.

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You should have bought a lie neilson from axminster.

19. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

I like the Lie Neilson range but cant justify paying that kind of money, A reasonable quality plane that's been fettled and set up right will do the same job with a good quality iron, I pick up my #5.1/2 across the front of the frog and shoot doors in like it was a block plane, I can do that because the iron is razor sharp and it's an old Stanley Bailey. Have been thinking of getting a 3-4mm iron set up, but I might have to open the mouth to do that, that's the idea I have for my #5.1/2 not the 4.1/2, more of an experimental thing than a chatter problem. I've not really suffered from the tackle tart problems some have, If I have something that I can get to work well for a reasonable price, I would rather do that and have a sense of achievement instead of paying another firm to do that for me, after all, I haven't yet needed a rolls Royce to get to work and back. If I fancied showing off to my co workers about how much money I have that I can throw around, I might go for a Lie Neilson.
    In my day as an apprentice to a highly skilled Cabinet maker, there were jobs where we used a Stanley Bailey #8 for truing up 2" oak boards ready for rub jointing huge near banquet size dining tables, didn't need a Neilson or Clifton back then, the planes were set up and worked well, so we didn't need to change anything. The #4.1/2 I have had the problems with is now on it's way to the US, it wasn't beyond working but would have been if used out of the box. I wasn't expecting them to be as concerned as they are, but by doing what I did helps all of us trades people by not accepting sub standard goods and hopefully get us some better quality control. Todays Stanley Bailey's are coming out of the factory in Mexico and the current standard means a part self manufacture to get them up to the quality of the Bailey's of the past. Even though this problem exists, I will still stick with them as like I say, by personally finishing it, I will have a good tool that hasn't cost the earth. Shouldn't be too much work to do on the replacement, one change I know I have to make already is changing the horrid plastic tote and knob, bad move by Stanley switching over to those.