Stanley Fatmax Power Tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by goldenboy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Lucky enough to have spent the day testing out the new Stanley Fatmax power tool range today, along with testing some handtools too. Really robust kit especially the cordless stuff. Well worth a look if you are in the market for anything. 10.8 impact driver is stonking. Already have the planer, jigsaw and multitool and they really perform well.  Good day out and interesting to see behind the scenes. Great lunch too.

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Launched in Argos and Homebase....that tells you all you need to know about their intended market.... :(

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Where its sells doesn't really bother me, all I can say is I have used the whole range and it's good stuff. It's well designed and looks like it will stand up to a battering. Target audiences etc is a bit deep for me. It performs well and that's enough for me.

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I'm afraid dear Goldenballs that it says everything about the products. Chinese tools made for the DIY market. They are basically a mix of Black and Decker and old Dewalt designs. Stanley is of course owned by Black & Decker. :)

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Hotdog, having had the privilege to see all this gear up close, and having seen the all the component parts as well yesterday, I can assure you that they are not mismashes as you describe, but I get the impression little will change your view. I have used the planer, jigsaw and multitool a great deal over the last couple of months and have had no problems. Dismissing kit because it's Far East made is a bit 80's mate. Good stuff comes out of China these days. I am basing my opinion of this range upon seeing behind the scenes the development that has gone into them and actual hands on sustained use, and as far as I can see you are basing yours on not really a great deal. Not stating they are the greatest tools in the world at all, my Festool TS55 is assured of its place! But it's good stuff for the price certainly way ahead of others in the same price range.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I have no doubt these tools are fine goldenboy. But if they are marketing them throgh Argos and Homebase then it tells you all you need to know about the intended market. No doubt they see them fitting in between B&D which in the UK is a really cheap basic brand and Dewalt which is their pro brand. Any other market position would be self destructive anyway.

7. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    yeah gb they have a point there, also when b&d bought elu and started the dewalt range, the yellow stuff was aimed at the semi pro market, whatever that is, so it looks like they are trying it again. im pretty sure that you know what you are looking at but i guess time will tell (can't be as bad as that erbauer stuff tho!)

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Alright captain, alright Jez, I think those are both fair points. From what I saw this range really seemed to bring lots of features found on much more expensive kit to a lower priced range. I really know my tools I hope and I really was impressed. The idea behind that was shown to us was that the servicing and product support was a really important part for them, which really sets them apart from the pile it high sell it cheap disposable power tools.

Certainly some of my main kit, paslodes, festool, Fein stuff is much more highly priced for a reason, but for something say like an impact driver or angle grinder that I would use less frequently I would havue bought problem using Stanley Fatmax. I use a planer loads and have been using this one lots and lots a day  and it has been performing great. I would go so far as to say that unless you spend top dollar on everything then everybody would find some space for some of this range. As for serious DIYers it would cover all needs for certain. Similarly priced green bosch and ryobi and some makita arent any where near the quality.