Starting to bite :-(

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dyke Pullover, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Is it me but really slowed down got a job to look at tomorrow and a blocked bog that's it! Spent £200 on advertising this month and nothing from it.

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

words got round LOZ, it was only a matter ot time,,tyr here, www. asdacarreers.co.uk..:D

3. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

4. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

Have you got in with any landlords yet standalone?

5. ThreadJacker

On the subject of landlords, a tennant of a landlord I do regular work for said he hasn't had his boiler serviced for over 2 years, is this something that has to be done by law every year in a rented property?

6. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

TJ why are you asking about landlords? I have done a couple of jobs for landlord but I dont do boilers gas work.

7. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I've noticed the phone's been a bit quiet recently. the year started quite well but has tailed off a bit.

I did a check on advertising spends recently and in one paper I've only recoupled half what i've spent with them since my financial year started in September. Now changed my advert to see if it makes any difference.

8. ThreadJacker

TJ why are you asking about landlords? I have done a couple of jobs for landlord but I dont do boilers gas work.

Just saying that if you got in with a few landlords like me then they will call you regularly with jobs, I do really well from mine. ;)

9. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

sorry Stan, don't like to see a man struggling,
    next weeks ad, try this :-

is there trouble in your attic about to happen?
    tanks can busrt without warning and the damage can devistate your bedroom cieling.
    well worry no more,
    FREE attic check, I'll check your domestic and heating tank for free ,,,,

once you're in the door, sell sell sell, tvr's smoke alarms,door chains, intruder alarms (wire free).
    even if you don't get any work, you get about and drink free tea

or you can standathome moaning all day...

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

It takes years to build up a big enough customer base to keep work coming in - even in the good times. Trying to go it alone from scratch in a recession is hopeless.

11. terry ball

terry ball New Member

hopeless.

quite right Captain,you have to have your bread and butter customers who you look after in good and bad times.
    Adverts are ok if you are prepared to deal with time wasters

12. sussexplumb1

sussexplumb1 New Member

There is absoloutley no future in plumbing - even with a good base of customers and advertising I have only had three calls since christmas - one bathroom swap which I got and a shower and dishwasher whch were simply timewasters. Can anyone live on that amount of work? - Noone is spendng any money at all!! Mnd you I still get loads of calls from Trainees and people lookng for work.

13. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

I've said this on other forums.....

Diversify. Plumbing and other jobs. I'm not suggesting you take on other trades, just unskilled work, rubbish removal, DIY tasks etc.

This gets you in the house and you can sell yourself.

I have a bathroom to finish off and I'm off tonight to go and sort out a washing machine cold feed valve that won't shut off, after I've had my tea.

I could do it next week but these are people who are likely to want other stuff doing, or know someone who does.

14. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Ah ha tomplum you are standathome so your local ;)

15. imran_

imran_ New Member

All my work right now is referals and repeat business. Strangely the bathroom market is already picking up. I'd be working on marketing existing customers for new work and referrals. You just have to come up with a good idea.

16. soldering-on

soldering-on New Member

I am a plumber, & landlord, diversify, when you make money instead of buying fancy motors, buy a cheap house do it up & rent it.What C-C is right, do what comes along, on this forum you try to pass on good advice, but quite a lot just take the p*s, the worst advice is not takeing good advice.ps, landlords cert is every year.

17. tightenit

tightenit New Member

It's a fool who can't see, or didn't see what was coming I'm afraid. Time to take off our rose coloured specs and accept what is really going on.
    "It's only just begun" as my old favourites the Carpenters would sing.
    I've had nowt of any mention since before Xmas and it's looking bleak. More plumbers having a pint at lunchtime in my local than the usual pile of workshy no-marks.
    "I see no ships - only hardships". Maybe the government will bail us out too but I doubt it. Too busy feathering their own nests paid for by the taxpayer.Great Britain.

18. imran_

imran_ New Member

Now is the winter of our discontented plumbers.

Of all the trades I don't think plumbers are doing so bad right now. As a friend said to me: "As long as people have a hole in their arz you're OK". The difference is now you have to go out and get the work rather than waiting by the phone

19. athompson

athompson New Member

We’re still OK at the moment. Plenty of work and the phone is still busy. My other half (TS). Has been working 7 days ‘til about 8.00pm. Approx 90% of our work is repeat or recommendation; we stopped advertising in Jan (except the local parish mag). Luckily we have work in already for March & April, but I still think at some point the ‘crunch’ will have some sort of impact on us.

20. soldering-on

soldering-on New Member

There is always work for plumbers, but have to look in different places, or do jobs that you would not normalcy do, roof work, cleaning gutters out.There are millions of homes that don't get there heating appliances serviced regularly, get leaflets printed, go round & post them through the letter boxes, target areas, cut price gas service,not to compromise safety, anything to keep ticking over, because it will get much worse before it gets better, but you have to be possitive.