Starting up

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Jerry1, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Hi all,
    Just wondering how you all got work when first starting up? I’ve been fitting for over 10 years but decided to go self employed supplying And fitting. Just not sure of the best way to get work??
    Thanks

2. Nis999

Nis999 Member

Started by printing my own flyers (local Handyman) and targeted certain areas of town, delivered myself. I printed 3000, and delivered 250 before the first phone call. After that it all business was word of mouth and repeat custom - If you do a competent job, charge a reasonable fee and treat every customer with respect, as long as you find the right target market, people talk about you. I hung on to the remaining 2750 flyers for a few years before binning them. I started in 2001, and since then I have not advertised, except for a self-constructed web site and a sign-written van. I did get a start up grant for the first few months, through the business course I attended, which was a great help. Good luck

btiw2 and Jerry1 like this.
  3. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

I started 18 months ago with a small team doing new builds on price work. They have a real flexible attitude which allows me to do my own stuff as and when i need to. Perfect combination for me!

4. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

How did you get on with them in the first place mate ?

5. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

Found advert on indeed.com always seems to be ads on there round midlands area.

6. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Yeah I’ve looked on websites like that there doesn’t seem to be anything in Leeds where I am

7. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

I've not worked for them, but the kitchen company 'symphony' supply a lot of new build sites. They fit a lot themselves too.