starting up

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by socketman, Mar 2, 2004.

1. socketman

socketman New Member

Having nearly completed my 22 years service in the Royal Navy, as part of my ressetlement into the outside world I am proposing to become a self employed sparky.("Not another one").
    Already a member of the IEE I have enroled for:
    1. 16th Edition
    2. ITCEI 2391 (tried to find c&g2400 in south west!!)
    3. IOSH (health & safety)

As If this is not enough I am relocating to Aberdeen,(The house is already bought and the beer tastes better), and would be grateful of any advice in setting up, business networking, useful courses ect anyone could offer. I am in the fortunate position of being able to get "onsite experience(Me for free) and from there on a steep learnig curve. Thanks Jon.E
    post or e-mail on: joneastelow@fsmail.net

2. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Up The Senior Service!

Sounds to me like you have it pretty sewn up already, the rest is up to you mate - a good idea would be to ask your local Chamber of Commerce about courses on starting your own business - Their 'Business-Link' advisors will give you all the info you need about things like business law, tax, accounting etc.

Good Luck Mate
    Wish you well.

3. socketman

socketman New Member

Cheers Trician,

Just spent the last few hours reading about self certification and the introduction of Part P building regs...there seems to be a lot of upset sparks which I can fully understand, but would I be right in understanding that the IEE will introduce the Electrotechnical Assessment Scheme (EAS),which in the eyes of the NICEIC, you will be deemed to be "COMPETENT"....big subject I know.....All the Best

4. The Trician

The Trician New Member

No one really know how the thing will pan out in the end.
    I think its a load of rubbish. Assume you've tried PART P in the top right hand 'Search' box?
    Plenty of fruity views there:)

5. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Sorry! That should have read Left Hand!

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

1) Part P will only apply to England & Wales.

2) Scotland has different regulations already in place (I think they are similar to what is proposed for Part P).

3) You must find out what the rules regarding qualifications/certifications apply in Scotland - hopefully they do not include the NICIEC/ECA type Catch-22, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't more than just passing exams required.

7. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Sorry - too many double negatives, that should have read either

but I'd be surprised if there isn't more than just passing exams required.

or

but I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than just passing exams required.

sorry.