Steady beep after changing smoke detector battery

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by crayoneater, Sep 12, 2018.

1. crayoneater

crayoneater New Member

Hi, not sure where else I can get help for this question: I have a Kidde combo smoke/CO detector and it was briefly beeping every 15 minutes with a spoken "Low Battery" warning. I changed the battery and the moment I re-connected the wires, it started emitting a steady (and LOUD!) beep, no break at all. I tried opening the window, blowing the fan on it, etc. with no luck. The hush button also had no effect. What went wrong? The manual shows various beep codes but this is not one of them. Thanks for any help you can provide.

p.s. there's no fire. There are perfectly working smoke detectors in the bedrooms on either side of this one :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Set it off with the test button and see if that resets it. I assume you used a alkaline battery as anything else will play up. Maybe it's just died and needs replacing as they don't last forever. What's the replace date on the alarm? Should see a replacement date on it

3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

I thought CO detectors only lasted the life of the battery, detector needs dumping and a replacement bought.

4. crayoneater

crayoneater New Member

Ah. Crucial clue from Wayners - the test button does not work at all, even with the new battery. Maybe the replacement battery is also dead (the batteries aren't the newest). I'll buy some new 9 volts and report back. Thanks.

I've not heard that rule about CO detectors, does it also apply to combination smoke/CO units?

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You didn't use a brand new battery and you start wondering why something doesn't work? The intelligence level of some people is just incredulous.

Isitreally and KIAB like this.
  6. Smokey

Smokey Member

Maybe the alarm is at the end of it's life; Kidde's (alarm with CO sensor) like others will emit steady beep at end of life which'll be stated in manual eg 5, 7 or 10 years depending on alarm specification.

7. crayoneater

crayoneater New Member

The human-ness level of some people is equally ridiculous. Mad because you were abused as a child? Hey, take it out on people on the internet. That'll fix everything, won't it?

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

The OP did say "(the batteries aren't the newest)" which does not mean they were used, he may have had them sitting there unused for a year or three. Some batteries have 5+ years of shelf life and could be classed as new up to the expiry or install before date.

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Carry on eating crayons.