Steal beam

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Lolik123, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lolik123

Lolik123 New Member

EA07DE50-2273-4BB1-A105-76CDE74F1607.jpeg Hello to everyone,I just had building control officer came up and he is not happy about Steal Beam the builders installed.So the architect drawings shows concrete slabs but they used metal plate instead.So I was not aware of that and confused what shall we do now?
    On the left wall they pushed steal approximately 25 cm deep and on the right wall where they pushed 10 cm only.
    I need to know how to sort this problems out as I am lady who don’t know about building regulations at all.Also inspector mentioned that there is a gap on the top of the steal beam and he wasn’t happy about it and said that some extra plate should go on the top of the Steal Beam.Builders said they will fill the gaps with the cement but by reading the forums some using Mo tar,someone slate and dry pack.Can someone help me please.Thank you in advance.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Your building control officer should have told you exactly what was wrong with the existing system and what he wants your builder to do about it.
    I'm guessing he wants concrete slabs because they're bigger so do a better job of load spreading. It's not the fact that it's steel ... more likely that it's too small. This is 'confirmed' where you say that one side is 25cm deep, but the other only 10cm. Your builder should know better, so he should not charge you anything extra for putting it right. DO NOT PAY HIM UNTIL HE HAS CORRECTED IT AT HIS OWN EXPENSE.
    What is mounted above the steel beam? We need to know so we can advise you an what needs to be done to bring it in line with building regs. Is it timber floor joists? Is it more brick/block wall? Is it roofing structure?

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

The steel isn't /shouldn't be the problem. (though the 100mm one is too short)

The engineering bricks under the steel are and should be a concrete pad stone of a specific size stated on the drawings.

Also it not a particularly tidy job so the BC has every reason to ask for it to be changed, had it all be square and tidy he may have let it go, engineering bricks were the brick of choice in the past for steel support.

4. Lolik123

Lolik123 New Member

Thank you for your reply,please see more photos.
    Spoke with building control today,he said for extra support he need concrete padstone 300 mm by 300 mm or metal padstone (not sure how it’s called),but size has to be justified.
    Also he said if the builders will remove steel beam out for extra support put metal plate on the top which is 12 mm.
    I really confused as builders don’t agree with that.Also Bcontrol mentioned that Steel has to be equally sits on both sides of the wall which is approximately 6 inches .Our steel is 3metre 75 cm in length.Thank you for kind reply

Attached Files:

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The final word is with the Building Control Officer weather your builder agrees or not, Building Control exists to protect your interests that the work has been completed to a satisfactory standard and requirement they also have the final say when it comes to issuing a completion notice.

6. Lolik123

Lolik123 New Member

Thank you for replying is it 150 mm will be enough?
    The builders said they will only want to put support under steel Beam break all this bricks and put concrete padstones on both sides.
    As he said that he need to support all house again to be able to to move steel to the correct level to make them equally on the both sides.
    The beam is very heavy and I am afraid that 10 cm won’t be enough on one side,if kids will jump on first floor on the top of that can it collapse?
    Thanks

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

This is interesting as I always believed 150mm was minimum bearing.

https://www.steelbeamcalculator.co.uk/UserGuide.aspx

This though suggest a 100mm is acceptable. ?

As does this.

http://nhbccampaigns.co.uk/landingpages/techzone/previous_versions/2011/Part6/section5/appendix.htm

8. If the RSJ is going into a party wall or onto a cavity wall then a 4" bearing is normally alright unless a pier is stipulated.

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Lolik123

Lolik123 New Member

Thank you for reply please see photo of my house before I am not sure if in the middle of the house is party wall as it’s detached house.
    Regards

Attached Files:

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Every steel I've done on a party wall or any external wall has had to have a pier built to give it extra support as stipulated on the drawings. ??

11. Lolik123

Lolik123 New Member

Attached Files:

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I originally had the loft conversion, the SE spece'd the steel beams to only bear on 100mm.

The wall construction was solid, i.e 215-225mm.

I think this is something to do with the part wall as can only bear on your half.

The house looks detached?

13. Lolik123

Lolik123 New Member

Hi thanks for reply House is detached.its cavity wall

14. The Architect has stipulated the padstone sizes on the drawing,the Builder should have followed the drawing and there would have been no dispute.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The SE drawings show to use a concrete padstone 300x250x215mm, looks like it will need to be replace both ends.

16. Lolik123

Lolik123 New Member

I understand that,but I am not in the house and trusted builders but the have done their own rules.Any suggestion how I can fix that?
    Can we just put concrete padstones and put extra brick column,as to remove the whole steel and push to make them fit equally impossible as it’s no more space for pushing.As if they push beam 5 cm more they have to break the wall which is on another room.thanks

17. Lolik123

Lolik123 New Member

Thank you for reply building control officer said architect drawings also wrong it has to be 300mm by 300 mm as house made not from solid walls.

18. I think you need to have a chat with your Structural Engineer and also Building Control to see what they will accept.

Astramax likes this.