Steel beam

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Adam Godsall, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Adam Godsall

Adam Godsall Member

i am currently installing a rsj between a dining room and a kitchen. Today we propped everything up. Stitch drilled and took the section of wall out. My question is who decides if the brickwork left is capable of holding up the rsj. Building control or structural engineer? Neither seem bothered. There is a fair bit of movement and the mortar is not the best. When the structural engineer was there none of this was visible to him.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Erm, not being funny mate but if you have to ask that you really shouldn't have demolished anything in the first place. The steel sits on padstones, in turn sitting on a full block, commons or engineering brick. Everything should be tight, full mortar joints and the steel bearing on at least 6" on the pads either end.

3. Adam Godsall

Adam Godsall Member

how did I know someone would come bk with that. This isn’t my first steel beam however I’m not happy the brickwork is up to the job.

4. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

Acrow up the steel and build some new piers if the ones you have are not suitable.

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

That's the answer.

What were you expecting someone to say.??

You're not happy with it then knock it out and rebuild it.

Adam Godsall likes this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

:confused: So why ask then if you know the answer? I'm not psychic and able to read your first post and ascertain you know what you're doing am I?

7. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

If you knock down the pier, make sure you knock it down right to the foundations under the floorboards. Make a box out of 150mm x 18-20mm soft wood (you could use old floorboards) and pour concrete in to give it a strong level foundation. Fill the box with concrete half way, put in steel mesh (like thick chicken wire) and fill to top of box. If the concrete cracks, it won't pull apart. The box should be twice as big as the area of the pier. When the concretes gone off, start bricking it up and finish with a padstone (a concrete block) for the steel to rest on. If the steel goes into the party wall, It may need a pier (with a wall starter) to help support it. You can use a 600mm x 100mm x 50mm pre stressed concrete lintel in the wall to spread the load. Make sure the steel cable in the lintel is towards the floor, this will increase the tensile strength of the load on the lintel. PS: An RSJ and a steel girder, called a "steel" are different. An RSJ has tapered flanges, a steel has parallel flanges.

Knowsome likes this.
  8. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

Alternatively you could follow your SE's design rather than guess

9. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Maybe looking for advice because there is no BCO or SE. Anybody with any real experience will be able to tell or even discover if a wall could hold an RSJ

10. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

It's unfortunately, sadly, probably, another bell end mate :(

11. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

It is getting quite concerning the number of people whom think they can mess about with RSJ's - like the guy last week who thought you could pack up the brick work with the building equivalent of toothpaste.

12. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member