steel (composite) toe safety shoe agony

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by AlvyChippy, Sep 22, 2017.

1. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Ladies and Gents!
    Please admit (or suggest) you have frog flipper feet and suggest me another set of shoes to try?
    My good old "Trojan Exec"'s (low shoes, with too high of a heel type of HSE exec) are literally falling apart.
    I have CAT pair, pair of Dickies, pair of Site boots- all as one "eat my toes" as some say, my feet are, as me a tad abnormal, but never are are any comfortable for more than couple of hours
    I'll pay up to another 50 crispies for either shoes/trainers or/and the same for boots for outside work...
    Helb!

2. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Pop in to Screwfix and try a pair of these on:

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-w...safetyworkwear-_-dewaltgarrisonsafetytrainers

I have wide feet and these are extremely comfortable. I'm on my second pair though as the side material split just behind the toe cap after about 6 weeks so Screwfix replaced them for me.

Others have had the same issue so also check out the Dewalt Cutter as they have a better rep and hopefully are based on the same shoe width:

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=dewalt+Cutter+Safety+trainers

AlvyChippy likes this.
  3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Thanks, half a day worn new trainers, hard to tell if they'll get better, but I'm not confident, in the times of me going back amphibious outer toes will be functional.

4. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Buy the ones with composite protection. So much light than the steel options. I get mine from the competition, however that's what you need to try

AlvyChippy likes this.
  5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Agree, but considering my feet, I'll weal horse shoes, as long as my flippers would be good with ;)
    Just paid £50, but ... seems like 5'th pair about to be put in to "collection"... :/

Could you be any more specific please?

6. Wayners

Vital X Airflow Safety Trainers.. Under £40 now..

AlvyChippy likes this.
  7. Wayners

Also break them in a little. Don't go all day first time out. I walk to shops and odd jobbing around home at weekends before I do a full day in them.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  8. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Really thanks for that!

Near/almost bearable for me to wear... just born with few imperfections, I am! :p

when even those grind me to halt I change to my LADIES safety shoes and having the humiliation jokes on site to endure, but agree- the (second) best ones, after my late Tojan Execs.
    Cheers!

Wayners likes this.
  9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Just wear normal trainers ...and use safety socks underneath
    RS

facilities likes this.
  10. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Will ruin my toe nail polish, since I wear certified-protective slippers :D

11. retiredsparks

Doh !...forget about your cross dressing fetish !
    :D
    RS

12. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Minding appearance's.
    Sacrifices for the fashion.
    Pleasing H&S fetish.
    Making efforts/dress code to keep morals high and creating soothing environment at my work office place.

Shall I continue?

13. retiredsparks

no, please refrain...the images i already have are enough.
    RS

AlvyChippy likes this.
  14. the1jock

the1jock Member

AlvyChippy likes this.
  15. stubber1

stubber1 New Member

Clogs from walkley clogs you can get them made to measure.
    I wont lie to you they WILL cripple you for a week or two while THEY break your feet in but once your feet are used to them they are the comfiest boots ever and you don't get smelly feet either ( mine were rotten regardless of what I did I even tried changing socks twice a day at one point )

AlvyChippy likes this.
  16. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Hi fellow Yeti!
    Honestly, I have more safety shoes/trainers/boots, than casual wear:

1- "my "late" :( Trojan Exec's 8/10 for general comfort, due to hard sole and too high/hard heal, but mercy on toes, (Think I paid something like £20 for those)

2- Vital X Airflow trainers 6/10 for lightness, general comfort (£40) = CAT 0632,(£55) same as, against only just bearable due to the appetite for my toes

3- 5/10- Trojan J60 (very comfy all round, bit heavier (£35)) = DeWalt Garrison (lighter, less comfy(£49)), BOTH get 5/10 due to toes situation.

4- 4/10- Lee Cooper Srata (solid build, solid leather, bit heavier(£35)) = Site (BY- LY) code (lighter, cheaper all round (£25)) = Dickies s1p (everything in-between these two (£25))
    These Dunlops, from appearance would seem 4/10 worth...

Toes, me bleeding toes!

But thanks for trying/ suggestion!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  17. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

As a proud amphibian Yeti tribesman, I treat your Orge'wear suggestion as pi55take! :angryface:
    Also, ogre shoes lack wooden toe protection ;) so H&S E will end up having an emotional meltdown!
    We wouldn't want THAT to happen, would we?

:D

18. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Look on google..........'Englebert Strauss' safety shoes.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  19. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Thanks AstraMax
    Looking... and apart from (safety) sandals they all as one seem to be following identical toe caps form (possibly made in the same factory in China) hardly going to be much better, unless you could suggest exact model, that would use different shape (really wide) toe cap.

Also, they sell all footwear directly (RRP's), so to get ANOTHER pair, just for trying and to stack in a cupboard is not very tempting anymore.

Also, I have to say, to have already called Arco ("semi'Ex" Trojan) technical department in order to pay full RRP to get them Exec's and they told me, that those are almost 10 years not produced anymore and particular toe caps they don't use on none new (ARCO labeled) footwear, suggested to try J60's (@~£65), that are just so so... (I mean really good shoes, apart from toe agony), I got of Ama*on for ~£35.

(forgot to mention 2 pairs of full hight boots still in my van(one is Dickies something, other don't remember)), they all more or less the same, apart from one's being size 9, others size 10, when it comes to work day- eat the toes same way, but ever so uncomfortable (being too big)

Anyway
    @retiredsparks
    PRO TIP: ;)
    if by any chance, your feet would be size 6
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142414839143

20. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member