Steel lintel set up for sash windows and stone head

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by boney695, Jul 13, 2018.

1. boney695

boney695 Member

Hello,
    What is the best type of lintel for installing in this situation? I would like to see the underside of the stone head.
    I have got to install three traditional sash windows. They will sit behind the outer leaf brickwork. A stone head will be sit above and in front of the sash window. See my rubbish diagram.
    If i use a catnic lintel then you will be able to see the underside of the lintel rather than the stone head.
    Thanks for any advice. Sash Lintel.png

2. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

You should be able to get the stone lintel and advice of size etc from a stone masons.
    A properly sized concrete lintel would be suitable for the inner leaf.
    Or seek the advice of a structural engineer and or building control.

3. boney695

boney695 Member

Ok thanks. I was thinking a concrete lintel for the block and maybe an L shaped lintel extending the top of the stone lintel and resting on the brickwork. Has anyone ever come across this setup, and if so, what was the solution?

4. stuart44

stuart44 Active Member

If you want stone showing you can get reinforced heads that will take the loads, otherwise the steel lintel goes underneath and will show.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

I've been on a job where a normal catnic lintel was used, the windows were set roughly an inch and a half back from the face of the stonework and the mason marked up an inch up from the bottom of the stones, cut out a slot and slotted them over the lintel in soldier course fashion. Took him probably half a day per window by the time he dressed the stone but the finish was outstanding.

6. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

He is putting in box sashes,so would need two lintels with internal lintel higher for box to sit behind front one.(not telling you how to fit traditional box sashes)

Jord86 likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Yes he would, I missed that detail thinking back to the job I described, and I'm certainly no brickie. In that case couldn't he use an L10 on the external skin and an ordinary concrete lintel on the inside?

8. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

I think he wants an actual solid stone lintel and not see any metal underneath it.
    I know you can get stone looking concrete lintels manufactured.

9. stuart44

stuart44 Active Member

He neeeds a structural head if he wants stone showing. Putting a steel lintel over the top as he thought about doing on a normal cast stone head is not the correct way. They can crack under self loading.

10. boney695

boney695 Member

Thanks for the replies. It isn't going to be cast stone. Natural to match existing. The conservation officer has insisted that much that I actually had to go and take a stone sample to the local council office. I will need some steel in it though as stone not acceptable for load bearing.

11. stuart44

stuart44 Active Member

The problem with stone is that they can't calculate for the load, even though it's been used for many years for lintels.
    If the span is quite small it might be worth checking with your BCO. Some of them are more flexible than others.