Sticking inlet valve on toilet cistern

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Nige Hurley, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Nige Hurley

Nige Hurley New Member

hi
    Does anyone know what make this toilet cistern inlet valve is please ? It keeps sticking . Can it be repaired or should I replace it ? If replace what one will fit ? upload_2021-9-25_15-21-50.jpeg BF8F8188-60F8-42E4-BA02-C725965D3449.jpeg [/ATTACH] 82714FFF-D791-48F5-BDEC-8FD26DF39DC9.jpeg

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Is it catching on the sides? Might need turning a bit?

Not an easy job if you've never done before with possible leaks. I take cistern off. Replace parts and fill with water to check for leaks. Then fit back on.
    FLUIDMASTER are a good brand with the brass thread inlet. Might have to alter pipe to fit the new inlet as different lengths.
    Might be more than a diy job depending on your skills and how keen you are. It's not hard to swap however water...

3. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

+1 for fluidmaster, or I like using Thomas Dudley hydroflo with brass thread as well

4. Nige Hurley

Nige Hurley New Member

Thank you

Wayners likes this.
  5. Nige Hurley

Nige Hurley New Member

Thank you

6. Nige Hurley

Nige Hurley New Member

Thank you

7. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Has the water level in the cistern changed, is the float sticking up or down, has any other work been carried out in the area and in most cases replacing the flll valve can be carried out without removing the cistern.

8. Nige Hurley

Nige Hurley New Member

Hi just pumps . It would flush ok but wouldn’t refill . the blue thing would go down and not return up. I could hear water wasn’t going in so I adjusted the float . However it required a bit of prodding to get it filling. At the moment it fills up right to the top. However, I am considering changing it so I can rely on it. I Have never seen an inlet valve like this one.

9. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

It will only get worse, better to replace before it fails completely. As said above fluidmaster or Dudley hydroflo are good ones and also allow repairs or even replacement of the working part in the future without having to disconnect from the water supply. Go for a brass threaded valve too, to avoid cross threading,
    Hard to tell with your photos, but hopefully you won’t have to take the cistern off to change it, but if you do I’d recommend changing the flush valve too at the same time to a fluidmaster pro, easily available spares and easy to work on.

10. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Hi Nige, have to agree that inlet valve appears to be a rare one but you dont have to replace it like for like and it looks as if you have plenty of room to work within. Sometimes it is an easy job to replace yet sometimes it goes **** up so it`s not really a Sunday afternoon job.