Sticky back tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by christinen, Sep 30, 2022.

1. christinen

christinen New Member

Can I get some advice please....we have bought some sticky tiles for the bathroom floor, initially we have taken all the old flooring up and as the floor was so bad, we scrubbed it clean and laid some hardboard down to make a good even surface for the tiles. Heres my problem...I cant get a straight answer on whether the hardboard should be primed with watered down PVA or some other primer to seal the hardboard, or just give it a good hoover and lay the tiles....any advice would be very welcome....thank you

2. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

I have done the same a couple of times with self adhesive tiles and planks.
    You are supposed to condition the hardboard by wetting and leaving in a stack for 48 Hours in the room they are going in.

I have never primed or PVA'd and never had a problem

3. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

I’ve never primed or PVA’d before laying self adhesive vinyl tiles either, but I’ve also never heard of wetting hardboard either. What’s the reason for that?
    One thing I have noticed in the past, is those vinyl tiles seem to shrink after a year or so, leaving gaps of several mm where they used to join perfectly when first laid.. is that normal or a result of not wetting the boards as you advise?

McSport likes this.
  4. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

I came across it on the B&Q website I think.
    Apparently causes them to contract a little and stops buckling.

https://www.diy.com/ideas-advice/how-to-level-a-floor/CC_npci_100025.art
    Quite a few results if you google 'conditioning hardboard'

I don't think I wetted the ones in our guest bathroom 10-15 years ago (due a refurb). Not seen any big problems with them.

Hausfix likes this.
  5. christinen

christinen New Member

Thank you all for your replies...I guess just a good hoover to collect and dust or debris is the way to go then.... thank you :)

McSport likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Follow the manufacturers installation instructions would be best.....myself I would seal the hardboard.