Stink from new dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by glezga, Jan 19, 2022.

1. glezga

glezga Member

Hi all, I got a new kitchen (from hell) installed back in October. Since then, we’ve finally got it all sorted and now there is a sewage smell – we think from the dishwasher.

Tbh i noticed the smell for a while but thought it was the food bin, then the sink until I googled it and found an interesting read about how to install a dishwasher properly.

We moved the food bin and I checked the u bend in the sink, no blockages and just some dirty-ish water that had a similar smell.

Then I noticed the dishwasher hose extracts to the u bend parts (sorry not savvy) and googled it and it dosent look the instructions – to leave the dishwasher, reach as high as its own height and then bend back down to create an air gap.

Can anyone confirm this is likely where the smell is coming from please. Ill need to get a plumber and joiner out as all the pipes are behind the carcase of the unit – plus the kickerboard for the dishwasher is screwed in such a way, the whole side of the kitchens kickerboards will need removed to get dishwasher out. That wasn’t installed correctly either – so may be a blessing in disguise to get it all done at same time.

sink2.jpg

i know i dont need to post this image but its the correct way yes - we have a belfast sink but you can see all the pipes etc are behind the carcase: the pipe should at least be up behind the sink then down to ubend?

diag.jpg

ours goes something like below:

hose2.jpg

if its not the dishwasher - what else could it be. not the u bend, anything else?

the dishwasher is on the left to the image, seperated by carcase. the whole kitchen was installed by joiners, including plumbing and electrics that were condemned by proper sparks.

thanks

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  2. glezga

glezga Member

some better pics:

20220119_184030.jpg 20220119_184046.jpg

my hearts broken with this kitchen!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

What’s on the opposite side of the dishwasher drain. Is there a bung in there or what?

4. glezga

glezga Member

sorry, i dont know what that means

5. Looks like a brass blanking cap, never seen one used on a trap like that before but it shouldn’t be anything to do with that as it’s above the traps water seal.

6. glezga

glezga Member

This thing? yes its to seal the whole thing. wter was getting out when wash machine and dishwasher was on. it was just a hole before but they put that brass thing on and it stopped.

bung.jpg

7. Where is the washing machine connected to then if that was causing water to come out of that hole?

8. glezga

glezga Member

i dont know where it "was" but its now got its own hole going outside through brickwork to outside drain

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

agreed. Just looked odd

10. glezga

glezga Member

They added this pipe for the wash machine later

20220119_190926.jpg

11. Can you see the connection inside, where the washing machine waste goes into? Post a photo if u can

12. glezga

glezga Member

the washing machine is too tight for me to get out and need kicker board off to get dish wash out. the red arrow is where the wash machine water goes

wsh.jpg

13. Ok. I was just wondering if they had used the correct trap for a washing machine inside the house. Would look like the one in the photo if u can recall seeing it?

Attached Files:

14. glezga

glezga Member

i didnt see it sorry - so it could be the wash machine waste thats smelling?

15. How far down into the gully outside does the pipe go? You shouldnt really be getting any smells from the waste pipe thinking about it as it isn’t connected to a soil pipe and goes into a gully.

16. glezga

glezga Member

it goes all the way down. it moves about 1" when i push on it and i hear it hitting the bottom - the smells comming from there u think?

17. Is it submerged in the water of the gully?

18. glezga

glezga Member

its not flooded no, theres a cruching sound like dirt or something when it hits the bottom. like these not water in the guley if thats what you mean? im hoping this is the issue. quick fix!

19. Yeah I was expecting water in that gulley tbh, and then if the pipe was submerged in it, it would be double trapped which could cause air to push back up and out.

20. glezga

glezga Member

i do remeber it was a bit smelly that gully. we used to have a coal bunker beside it and i had to clean it out and it had a simmilar sulphr smell. i might cut the pipe and wait. could still be it!

Deleted member 246321 likes this.