Stink from new dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by glezga, Jan 19, 2022.

1. glezga

glezga Member

i just pulled the pipe out and gave it a sniff - yep thats the smell!!!!!

LEGEND - thanks m8 ;)

pppmacca43 likes this.
  2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Screwfix Select

Brilliant, cut it back and see how you go, I’d probably cut above the grill and put a 45 on it to terminate it just above it

3. glezga

glezga Member

Yes, when they 1st installed it - it was splashing everywhere, so they extended it.

i may now need the gully cleaned properly and that will cost too lol

thanks again ;) i really appreciate your time and this forum ;)

pppmacca43 likes this.
  4. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Screwfix Select

Does beg the question how it’s getting in when your sinks and appliances are(or at least should be) trapped. Hopefully it’s what I was saying about the double trap that was causing it. Good luck, and give it a couple of days to settle and if no good ask again on here. Loads of good plumbers and diy’ers with good knowledge :)

5. glezga

glezga Member

will do - thanks

pppmacca43 likes this.
  6. glezga

glezga Member

coal.jpeg
    Quick update on this in case it helps someone else.

5 months later from original post so about 8 months its took to get this sorted.

the smell was from the drain outside the kitchen window and NOT getting into the the house via the sink, dishwasher etc.
    it was coming in the house through air vents under the kitchen window beside the sink drain and appliences etc.

i gave the drain a clean at my last post here but the smell continued. another plumber later with no fix and i finally called out a drain cleaner guy.

he done all my drains and said they were maybe blocked - smell returned right away!

originally i was sure smell was comming inside vie pipes/appliences - every plumber say 100% no way.

£300 later i had some time off work (yesterday and today) i noticed the smell coming in through the back door beside drain/kitchen and put my hand all the way down the drain............

COAL!

years of coal from old bunker!

i manually pulled the coal from the gully and P trap - left the hose on full blast to kick up the particles - the smell has gone!

i rang the drain guy - he said he jetted the drains from manhole up to gully!!! but obviously didnt clean the gully - so all the coal had been in the pipe and he pushed it all up to the gully, clogging in the P trap. **** about elbow if you ask me!

so, the source of the smell is now gone..... for now and DIY cost of £0

if it comes back, ill get another drain cleaner and ask him to push away from house this time. didnt know id need to ask.

anyway, thanks and im just explaining in case it helps some same a few quid.

Attached Files:

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cost of coal these days....keep it for the winter days as you have a least 1/2 an hours worth of heat there! :p

rogerk101 likes this.