Stonework support

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by colinthehamster, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Hi all,
    While back I was speaking to a guy I met and he said there is a product on the market that is like a framework or crate of some kind that can be built around blockwork to allow it to be clad in stone more easily than using ties etc. He said it allowed a thinner course of stone to be used as it supports it so useful for where space is tight

Can anyone tell me does such a thing exist or was he talking bs?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't think of anything.:(

Know a few commerical products,like, Strata stone cladding systems,but nothing domestic.

What you actually doing.

3. Well basically I'm still in the sort of research phase currently with my seemingly never ending porch project!
    Our house is pennant stone and we would like to replace the current leaking monstrosity of a porch and really would like to have stone to match the house. However we really are restricted in terms of size due to a window and the current boundary wall which our neighbours are unwilling to allow us to remove part of, even temporarily to allow better access.
    We have no space for cavity construction. The porch cannot be smaller than current and we have room to make it around 100-150mm larger at the sides.
    We had one builder tell us there was this 'crate system' that would allow us to construct and support a quite narrow stone wall around block, and the next told us categorically stone is a no go as no space.
    We have about 3 ton of stone on site so would be nice to be able to use it!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Boundary wall how is it shown on your deeds, joint, yours,neighbour?

100mm -150mm,could use 100mm concrete block & SureCav 25,it would allow you to have a narrow cavity,could you not cut your stone,so you have a thin facing block, say 100mm.

I've done it in the past,where space is tight, sliced stone blocks in half,so you get two face blocks, say 75mm -100mm to use.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  5. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Cutting the stone in half is good for me , giant pebble dash

6. Unfortunately it's not shown on the deeds. It's an unusual case of a historic party wall agreement between us and next door from the early 19th century. The house next door longer exists! A new house was built in the 1950s and they still jointly own not only the wall but the actual side of our house! Our searches when buying didn't bring this up which we are more than a bit ticked off about!

I'm definitely up for cutting the stone back, it was something I'd thought of before but one guy we had out said there'd be no way we could clad around with stone and stop water transferring through.

Would I then just build up and use normal ties?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. The stone we have is completely random in size with one face, not coursed or anything - would that still work?

Could I crop back with angle grinder and diamond blade? Some of the pieces would probably be too small to do comfortably with stone saw

What sort of spacings should I be looking at placing ties?

9. Also how would I go about closing the cavity the surecav would create around the doorway? I'm assuming no standard cavity closers that small?