stop cock location issue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mrs erus, Oct 13, 2018.

1. mrs erus

mrs erus Member

Morning all

We have been renovating a house and as part of the building regs, have had to do a soundproof wall, which is offset from the existing. as a result, the current stop cock will now sit behind the new wall.

In an old house we had, they'd used a brass stopcock, which appeared to have a much longer handle which protruded through the back of the sink unit but I cannot find one.
    Any ideas how I can overcome this and make it so the stopcock is accessible without having to leave off the back of the unit and the plasterboard at that level? I thought about one of the remote ones but they're over £50!

I also thought about placing one at the top of the pipe in the eaves storage and also one with the supply to the kitchen area which are easily accessible but these wont cover the supply from the main, which includes the T feed supplying upstairs and downstairs and although theres no sign of leaking in the past 4 months, Im wary about covering up somewhere that cant be turned off at the earliest point? Any suggestions other than just buying the remote one?

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

It appears that the remote sort are not favoured by the pro plumbers here.( troublesome)
    It would be wise to do any work needed...to facilitate easy access to a new stop cock and its fittings.
    Water should be isolated during hols or long weekends away for obvious reasons.
    Rs

3. mrs erus

mrs erus Member

Thanks RS,
    I dont know how we can do this bar placing in a whole new water main as theres just not the room between the floor and the current stop cock and any stop cock for the next 2.5m thereafter will be behind the wall unless I leave the back off the cupboard and the plasterboard off the wall.

The only way I could do anything to bring a stop cock this side of the cupboard/plasterboard would be to add a loop coming from the current supply, then add a new stop cock, then literally turn it back on itself to then sink new pipes behind the wall, which would then add 4 elbows to the loop and create essentially a bizarre c shape before it continues to the rest of the house, surely this will affect flow, and would still create an area which I cannot access from the floor to the new stop cock?

4. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

5. mrs erus

mrs erus Member

Thanks for that very constructive advice.... and for what its worth, I am competent, Ive just never come across this situation before, neither has the so called "professional" I called in three months ago, who scratched his head, and said, "oh, Ive never seen anything like that before, most other stop cocks are higher off the ground than that" then failed to ever return or quote for the job ... hence why Im asking here as, as much as Im not a professional, I can plumb, fit kitchens/bathrooms, I can solder, I can wire a ring main, I can also change filters on my car, I am however, having to deal with other peoples/plumbers botch ups!

6. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Is there any access under the floor?
    If so just alter the main from under the floor to the new location inside the unit. Then connect to existing.

Otherwise go with your own plan with the 4 bends.

7. mrs erus

mrs erus Member

Thanks Mike, sadly no, its sunk into 1960s reinforced concrete :-(
    Will the 4 bends reduce flow do you think?

8. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Slightly.
    What size is the main currently?

9. mrs erus

mrs erus Member

15mm or the imperial equivalent, Flow/pressure seems to be quite good though.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Wouldn't be noticeable at mains pressure, would be different if coming from a tank.

mrs erus likes this.
  11. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Then have a plasterboard access hole and a cupboard-back access hole. Insert an access hole flap cover with Stop Tap written on it.