Stop cock parts swap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by JustPhil, Feb 14, 2018.

1. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Got a leaking stopcock. Not sure if it’s leaking round the gland or the head gear join. (Hopefully got the terminology right there). The compression fittings are dry.

My plan is to swap the whole head gear assembly from the new onto the old body. The new and old appear identical externally. Any issues with my plan? I’ll have fresh packing, sealing washers etc that way but avoid wrangling the tap body out from the copper pipe firmly fixed in plaster on both sides.

I’ve got a whole new pegler stopcock in hand. I know ptfe in the right place might fix it but Want to fix this tonight without another trip to SF!

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Far easier to replace the whole thing with a full bore lever valve. Very rarely can you successfully replace just the guts and find itv works as you have to match manufactures to ensure an exact fit on the seating.

Good luck if you go-ahead as I know from experience how frustrating these simple jobs are.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Phil! Why would you want to replace just the innards?! The water will need to be offski/drained for that task, so why not replace the whole fitting?

Or, ball-lever-valve as Dave says.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Point being that IF this works, Phil hasn't had to dig out his pipework from the wall and then make good. Got to be worth a try and he's got the parts to hand to replace the whole stop cock if it doesn't work. I would also recommend a full bore lever valve though however that's not going to happen tonight I suspect.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot easier to just fit a full bore lever valve.

6. Ah! Hadn't seen the 'buried in plaster' bit... :oops:

GOOD LUCK, PHIL! :)

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Going to end in a disaster.:D

We want the photo's.:)

8. Real time video pleeeeeeeez.

on your IP-rated camera

9. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Jobs a good’n!

The fresh head seated in there beautifully and I now have a stop cock that turns fully on and off with no weeping. Was all over in twenty minutes.

As you lot discussed, a fresh ball valve would be just grand but this worked perfectly. Though not a plumber I was prepared to slice the pipe and resolder to get the new stopcock body in there if required. I count myself lucky.

10. :)

So you're all dry?

:(

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No flood...:(

Well done though.:)

12. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Sorry to dissapoint guys. :)

I did drill through a pipe under a floor board a couple weeks back. Seeing as the world didn’t completely end after that I’ve grown a lot more confident plumbing!