Stop End on Pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kaz69, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Hi All,

I've removed a sink from the garage and need to cap the pipes with some stop ends, do i need to put some Flux on it before putting it on? and is there much difference from a metal stop end to a plastic one?

Also I probably answered my own question here but want to double check, the isolating valve that i have on the pipe which is stopping the water says 15mm and that's the size pipe connected i'm guessing so would need a 15mm stop end.

cheers

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Always flux pipe and fittings when soldering. The flux cleans the copper and helps the solder flow between the two parts. Still need to pre clean the pipe and fittings with wire wool, abrasive strips or similiar and debur ends of pipe

Think the plastic stop ends are seen more as a temporary fix whilst soldered copper is permanent. Although there's probably millions of push fits ends buried under floor boards and hidden in cupboards !

Some people / plumbers / just don't trust plastic push fit but their being used more and more and they can't all leak can they

And yes ...... uv answered ur own question ....... 15mm stop end :)

3. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Cheers DIYDave

Not sure if we are replacing the sink yet or not, so I’ll probably get the metal stop ends just in case it’s a long time before we do it.

I forgot about cleaning the pipe ;-) cheers for reminding me

Right time to get the gear in and get to work.

cheers

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Keep the isolating valves, just solder a end cap to short piece of copper pipe & fit to valve, easier than removing valves, & soldering end caps direct to pipes, plus you will find a garage/garden sink very handy,no mess walked into the kitchen & the wrath of SHMBO.

5. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Cheers KIAB that sounds a much easy job, the only issue I have from both yours and DIYDave’s comment are that I don’t have a soldering kit and don’t want to spend out on something if I won’t use it again, can the stop end just be fitted on with the olive to keep it secure?

6. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Just grab a couple of push-fit stop ends, either JG or Hep2O then stick them on a short length of copper like KIAB suggested. Nothing temporary about them.

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I think it's good practice to not leave 'dead legs' in redundant pipework, it can be a breeding ground for bacteria.

8. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Cheers Rulland

Something new learned about the bacteria stuff, i'm hoping to fit a new sink but as just moved into a new house we are uming and erming about it but if we do say no I'll remember to cut the 'Dead leg' back.

Any ideas on the soldering side as I dont want to pay out if Im not using it again, with the stop end be ok with the olive?

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Think ur getting yourself a bit confused Kaz with your stop ends and plumbing systems

You mentioned 'flux' so I assumed you were talking about soldered fittings - but now you mention you have the idea, but not the gear !

Your now talking about olives - so this will be a compression stop end

Your mixing up systems here it seems

Soldered - cleaning v important, flux, heat, solder, etc

Compression - cleaning not an issue (only if paint or corrosion on pipes)

Can use a bit of 'paste' on the olive if not confident but shouldn't actually need it, or any ptfe either. Olive will seal on the pipe when its adequately tightened - how much ?? Now that's another post :)

10. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

DIYDave thanks for putting me right and sorry for the confusion lol

Cool so the compression stop end will be enough, great that's perfect then.

The Plus side I've got an idea on how to solder a stop end and also how to make it easier by adding a piece to the valve.

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That's fine mate, you just sounded a little muddled between plumbing systems ! I'm only diy myself but try and offer advise when I think I can

Many peeps would just leave pipes anyway and shut off via iso valves. These valves can leak themselves or allow a trickle of water to pass if not fully shutting off. Good idea I recon to add stop ends. Go for push fit or compression, that way no additional tools or materials needed. Guess would be an idea to test their water tightness after fitting by turning on iso valve, but then you create a dead leg of stagnant water between valve and end cap so dunno really. The water is being stopped by iso valve anyway so personably not as critical as in a 'live' system

12. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Cheers DIYDave yeah i'm def muddled but i'm trying to learn plumbing as I go for my own home DIY fixes, you def helped mate.

yeah i have the iso valve shut off but the chance of a possible leak is on the mind so the compression stop end is on the cards plus its something new I've learnt and to do.

Cheers