Stopcock responsibility and what to do......

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by barbaricduck, Apr 14, 2010.

1. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Hi folks,

I have a client that has both stopcocks/isolators seized up.

One is within the house the other is in backyard. I am wandering whose responsibility the external one is?

I have had conflicting opinions thus far.

Also, I have spoke to a couple of plumbers and neither seem willing to use a pipe freeze kit to fit a new stopcock internally....I am defo not gonna try it myself, but the pipe freeze kit on here has a lot of good reviews... Do most plumbers steer clear of them...

Could do without waiting for water-board to come out as have a kitchen to fit.

Many thanks....

2. no comment

no comment New Member

if your changing kithcen anyway expose mains in kitchen releive pressure via cws tank and be brave. do it live .(or freeze it)

3. no comment

no comment New Member

if your changing kithcen anyway expose mains in kitchen releive pressure via cws tank and be brave. do it live .(or freeze it)

4. no comment

no comment New Member

outside tap better if you they got one to relieve pressure

5. spanners2001uk

spanners2001uk New Member

Screwfix freezing kits are good but I have never had much luck with mains pressure.
    If the outside stopcock is on your property you will have to pay for a new one, if is on the road or outside your boundary the local water board will have to pay. You need to have the outside stopcock in working order incase there is a problem with the inside one.

6. imran_

imran_ New Member

It's like David Blunkett leading Stevie Wonder..... :)

You need to freeze the incoming pipe - "relieving" the water pressure will do F.A. Once the old stopcock is off all hell breaketh loose.

Get a plumber in.

7. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Speak to the water utility co, one will be their responsibility.

8. Itandje

Itandje New Member

and how the * does opening a garden tap relieve the pressure off the incoming main while you change a stop tap?? Imrans right....Blunkett. :^O

[Edited by: admin]

9. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

Water board but since you have said you cant wait.Do it live,it aint that bad.
    Which reminds of a burst i went to during the cold weather.
    Burst was just under the stop cock and there was no outside stopcock(tarmac over prob), the customer had a plumber round who said he couldnt do it, to much pressure, it was hitting the underside of the worktop and was like a waterfall.Speedfit is the answer.

Get a new stopcock a bit of pipe and a straight speedfit socket, cut pipe, bang it on.

10. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

As said, ones on your property are your responsibility. Is there not a s/c in the street? Worth checking this - you could turn off there, problem solved! But check whether whether the one in the street controls more than one house - although neighbours may be sympathetic to short supply cut if warned in advance.

Most water boards have lists of approved plumbers who will repair s/c. Waiting for them to do it could be a long delay!

Good luck!

11. barbaricduck

Sorry delay, been playin 5 a side.. THANK YOU all for replies.

Think the best course of action is to find a plumber that will do it live.. I have used pushfit live with kitchen supply before but always with other taps on etc..

Dont fancy doing it on the mains tho! The water pressure is pretty ducking fierce like!

Cheers

12. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

Yes - sounds like good idea to get in someone experienced - in my last post I meant to say that waiting for water board to repair customer's s/c could be a long wait - best to ask water board for approved contractor - they usually come out within 24 hours.

13. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

Where are you duck, i have my waterproofs at the ready.

14. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

barb, are you in the right forum? you seem 2b of the opinion that people on here haven't got a clue???

''I have used pushfit live with kitchen supply before but always with other taps on etc...''

how does this relate to changing a stopcork? first tee after stopcork is for sink. oppenning all other taps wont help you much. particularly if they're supplied by cwsc & or hwc.

15. barbaricduck

Oh what a palava!

Mate I am grateful, and have not said no one has a clue whatsoever...GET off the drugs mate they are makin you paranoid (give them too me!).. Have used live in flats before a cupla times. Turnin bath taps and flushing taps reduced the pressure on the kitchen taps.. What can I say!?!?! I did not realise that you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every property in the U-ducking-K...... kiss kiss.

Thanks to all other contributions once AGAIN

16. barbaricduck

Hi Ponty, North East mate, close to Sunnerlan!

17. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

Out of my area, im in the North west, going up to Washington in 3 weeks to see my sis but that rest only.good luck.

18. barbaricduck

Cheers mate. Enjoy Washington - Its the home of that cow Heather Mills!!

19. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

well, whats stopping you taking this stop tap change on then???

experience is the best teacher, and from what you say, uv changed a few. that makes you an expert. get on with the change.

btw, those drugs aint doing you no good:^O ponty said he has his wellies ready. you mistook that to mean he realy wanted to come and fit the stop tap:D try reading between the lines barb:) nite nite, & sleep tight. dont 4get to dream of water water everywhere.

20. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member