storage heater with an immersion timer ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TomGood, Jul 21, 2021 at 11:18 AM.

1. TomGood

TomGood New Member

I have a lot of storage heaters but would like to come off of E7 and switch to a time of use tariff, (E7 is now very expensive 12p night & 21p day.)
    I'm thinking of using a mechanical Immersion heater timer rated at 16 amp in the place of the on/off switch box next to each heater. I think this will be okay for the heaters (each charge at 3.4kw)

Does this sound reasonable? I am acutely aware that there could be factors I am ignorant of. I know exactly nothing about electrics so would be getting a sparks to do the work (inc removing the main E7 timer in the meter box)

by the way I asked 'Timeguard' the maker of the immersion heater timers (NTT01) and they just said they will not comment of the use of their devices ! !

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

As an electrician I would decline this job as you describe it.

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

The E7 timer belongs to the electricity supply company or local DNO and a electrician isnt allowed to change it without permission from them..

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

When I changed my storage heater cu over to a 24 he supply I just cut the cable coming out of time clock and installed it into a single Henley block. Then transferred the tail to another Henley with 25 he supply.

6. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

You can easily obtain old type mechanical E7 timers (the ones that were not radio controlled) refurbished from meter companies like RDL - simply have the DNO move your storage heater fuse box over to 24 hour and put an 80 or 100A timer on the front end.