Storing Ply

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hover Tim, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

Hello
    I need to store some very thin birch ply whats the best way

2. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Hello Trouble !
    I'm stating the obvious here...but.....Ideally you want to store it flat and level. Not easy at home I know......Try to avoid leaning it against the wall if you can.

3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

As Mike says flat is the best way if you have the room and the ply is well supported underneath so there are no sags.

If you have to store it vertically keep it as upright as possible and as thin ply has a mind of its own it may be worth placing between a couple of sheets of 18mm ply/MDF. A lot will depend on what you call thin ply are you talking about 1.5mm skinply or 4 - 6mm ply?

Jason

4. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

the ply is 0.4mm and 0.8mm for model building

5. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

How big are the sheets?

Can't you just lie it on the floor unfer a bed or cupboard.

Take off the plinth and put it under the kitchen units.

Bit of creative thinking needed.

6. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

the sheets are only 3f by 1f but they need to be stores in my workshop so i think i will be able tomake a flat timber rack out side and then cut a bit of ply and put it ontop to keep it flat

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

0.4mm, eh?

8. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Well Tim did say for modelling, still h'mmmm veneer, No surely not. Stay with it Tim you won't get knocked for trying ,most on here will see to that. Cheers !

9. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

i made the rack today flat as sugested and just mounted it on the wall.I know 0.4 does seem like a typo but its not i was a bit unsure when i got my first set of plans but its avalible at any good model shop if you want to have a look it clased as birch ply and is extremley flexable and lite hence the use for model hovercraft as the sturcture needs to be lite to get more running time and if the model is too heavy then it wont evan hover.

10. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Hey good for you Tim. That says it all and you do know the gen for modelling . Now we know where your handle comes from you being in to choppers. You fly old sod you Cheers !

11. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

On offence mate but what the hell are you taliking about

12. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Hi Tim
    No offence taken and certainly none meant. You did have us wondering about the ply thickness which I as a non modelling hand know nowt of .Handle is slang for your nickname 'hover' and you have some interest in choppers so was I right to put 2 & 2 together, If not soreeeeeee. Cheers.

13. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

Non taken but you have got the wring transpoart a hovercraft i a vechile that travel over land and water eg the hovercraft and travels just above that water using air for example the one that went from dover to calais, a chopper or helicopter well thats obvious